TASCAM Porta One - Only track 2 not fully erasing. Head alignment issue?

neckcarpenter

As the title says...

I'm testing a Porta One and if I record over a pre recorded cassette, tracks 1, 3, 4 fully erase, and only playback my test recording. But track 2 retains maybe 40% of its original recording.

I've also tested it with my own recordings on the Porta One and the same thing happens. My recording also is only *mostly* erased but not all, when I go back and record over it. It seems to retain mostly the low end, sounds like?

I'm assuming this is an erase head or record head alignment issue. Is that where I should be looking? And if this is the issue, how would I correct it without one of those fancy alignment tapes?

What I do love about the Porta One is that you can access the heads without taking the machine apart. (Just discovered that today...)

Here's hoping this isn't totally out of left field, and thanks for looking!

In my experience, it's unlikely to be a head alignment issue on a 4-track recorder. I could be wrong, of course, but I've never personally come across it.

I would start by opening it up and unplugging all the ribbon connectors you can get to, spraying them with Deoxit, and then replugging them (a few times). Obviously, the ones connected to the heads are your primary concern, but it wouldn't hurt to do them all while you have it open. (Be careful removing them, of course, using pliers if necessary.)

Thanks fb! I did try that already but had no luck. I should probably give it another go before moving on to something else.
I've at least learned which cable corresponds to track 2: red (I think)!

Back