Tascam Porta One - not recording on any track, but playback/mixer totally fine.

neckcarpenter

Hi, I'm wondering if there's something basic (or not so basic) I'm missing here. As the title says, I'm hearing playback with no issue at all, but haven't successfully recorded a single note.

Here's what I do:
I arm the track to record, red light starts blinking. I hit REC/PLAY, red light turns solid, everything moves and looks, and sounds fine.
I can hear my mic/line source fine through any channel I choose.
Meters bounce because signal is passing through the mixer, but clearly the sound isn't making it to the head...

When I play back:
The section I recorded over is now silent, erased. Well, it's 96% erased. I can sometimes hear the faintest bit of the previous material on the tape. I'm guessing the heads aren't perfectly aligned? But not even the faintest bit of my recorded audio makes it onto tape.

What I've looked at so far:
The wires coming out of the head look fine to me.
I've de-oxed/re-plugged all connectors between the tape transport and board.
I de-oxed and exercised the Record Functions switch.

And, that's the extent of my knowledge. Is there any way I plugged something in wrong at some point? This machine had other issues before I could even test the transport function, so I'd unplugged and replugged connectors before even trying to record. If I had done this, would I still have successful playback?

Anyone have guidance, I'd be really appreciative!

Thanks for reading!

Back