Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tascam MSR-16 vs. Fostex G16S

Thanks

Tascam MSR-16 vs. Fostex G16S

Sign in to disable this ad
    If both were about the same price (MSR-16 is $800 including shipping, G16S is $750 + shipping with extras), which would you go for?

Both machines have very little wear. I've seen photographs of both machines' heads and they are in great shape. Both owners claim they work great.

I love my 388, but need to go to 16 tracks.

Thanks for any and all help,
    -MD
    Last edited by themaddog; 03-21-2005 at 10:38.

Thanks
    Although I have no specific experience with any of these machines, I'd say that their state would be the most important thing here. Assuming that they have had the same level of (mis)use and similar headwear I'd probably prefer the Tascam, as Tascam stuff somehow just feel slightly sturdier than Fostex'.

Soundwise they should be comparable, unless Fostex fudged up with that particaular model. Also, the Tascam uses dbx NR I think, while the Fostex has Dolby S. Preferences there are probably purely religious. I for example, prefer dbx. This without having any actual opinion on which is best.
    Random Pavarotti Disease Victim.

Thanks
    Call Mat at Fostex and ask about parts availability.

Call Jimmy at tech support at Teac/Tascam and ask about parts availability.

Then, you'll have your answer.

Thanks
    Bloody good point.
    Random Pavarotti Disease Victim.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by themaddog
    If both were about the same price (MSR-16 is $800 including shipping, G16S is $750 + shipping with extras), which would you go for?

Both machines have very little wear. I've seen photographs of both machines' heads and they are in great shape. Both owners claim they work great.

I love my 388, but need to go to 16 tracks.

Thanks for any and all help,
    -MD
    Go with the machine that is in the best condition.

The late Stephen Paul hailed the G series of Fostex machines as electrically superior to the Tascams. He claimed that they sounded as good as some 2" machines. Something to think about.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRDTS
    Call Mat at Fostex and ask about parts availability.

Call Jimmy at tech support at Teac/Tascam and ask about parts availability.

Then, you'll have your answer.
    That right there should be one of the main reasons to go with TASCAM.

Well said BRDTS.

~Daniel

Thanks
    having owned both machines, soundwise, hats off to the Fostex.And under almost any other situation, i would say go with the Tascam, as I'm not a big fan of Fostex stuff. But they got it right with the G16.

Thanks

then again...

If I had a choice, I'd go with tascam, because, (from what I hear), they are mechanically superior to Fostex, and it seems that EQ would be a LOT easier to fix than wow and flutter problems during tracking.

I'd much rather have the reliable transport, and the ability to buy parts for the Tascams. Overall reliability and assurance of continued use is a MUCH higher priority (to me) than an inherently cool sound of a not so reliable piece of gear.

nothing against you G16 heads. but good luck with parts.

Can't wait to get one myself. (a tascam, i mean.)

Beck Guest
    They are both very nice machines. The Dolby S on the G16S is excellent and does the most to give it a slight edge in the running. However, the dbx integration on the MSR-16 is as good as it gets.

If the question were asked 10 years ago I would have some difficulty deciding. Even being a Tascam fan I could still see the Dolby S winning me over to the G16S. If both machines were Dolby S I would go with Tascam.

As some have already mentioned the biggest thing you might kick yourself for in the future is when you need a replacement part from Fostex -- it ain't gonna happen.

Tascam doesn't have every part imaginable but they do have most of the commonly replaced parts.

Even then, it depends on your abilities. I don't have any problems tearing a machine apart and making repairs at the PCB level. Normally when a service shop says a card is bad they are really saying a component, such as a capacitor or resistor is bad, but they just chuck the whole board and put in a new one.

If you have the know-how and skills you can fix a lot of this stuff yourself.

Final answer though, all things considered -- Tascam MSR-16

-Tim

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cjacek
    That right there should be one of the main reasons to go with TASCAM.

Well said BRDTS.

~Daniel
    Well, in my quest for MCI JH24 parts on the web (extensive searches) I have found Fostex parts for all the multitrackers in abundance. TASCAM has stopped all production of parts (years ago) and have some in stock. Given the reliability of the Fostex stuff and longevity (my E16 is almost 20 years old and still in mint condition (!) and was used almost everyday since new, the G16 is still a very good buy. If the G16 was in better shape than the TASCAM, I would still get it hands down. If the TASCAM were in better shape, I would get it hands down. Finding multi-trackers in great to mint condition is becoming very rare. Having a few machines is not a bad thing at all.

Thread Information