Tascam MSR-16 - Quantegy fine, RMGI rubs

gasandmatches

I picked up a Tascam MSR-16 last night and everything is working just fine except for one little problem. I loaded a brand new reel of SM911 and hit play and noticed some rubbing on the right tension arm. I adjusted the tension arm back and forth to no avail.

Just for fun I loaded an old reel 456 and it plays with no problem or rubbing whatsoever.

I think I read on here somewhere that SM911 is just a little wider than 456. Is this true? and could that be the source of my problem? The tape path is fine everywhere except the right tension arm.

thanks for you help!

I picked up a Tascam MSR-16 last night and everything is working just fine except for one little problem. I loaded a brand new reel of SM911 and hit play and noticed some rubbing on the right tension arm. I adjusted the tension arm back and forth to no avail.

Just for fun I loaded an old reel 456 and it plays with no problem or rubbing whatsoever.

I think I read on here somewhere that SM911 is just a little wider than 456. Is this true? and could that be the source of my problem? The tape path is fine everywhere except the right tension arm.

thanks for you help!

Does the tape appear to be too wide for the width of the tension roller? Yes, RMGI is a bit wider... 12.7 mm vs. 12.5 mm for Quantegy. However, I don't think properly slit RMGI should cause that sort of rubbing. It could be a bad tape or alignment problems further back.

Is it rubbing on the take-up reel?

I noticed the same with my TSR-8. It accepts the 456 just fine, but when I load the RMGI, all hell breaks loose in the form of shedding and squealing.

Needless to say, I won't load the RMGI onto my MSR-16 until this mystery is solved. :(

after a closer inspection i realized the noise isn't coming from from the right tension roller at all. It's actually coming from Counter Roller. The sound is the tape sticking and unsticking from the roller. I tried to clean the roller and when I touched the rubber and it was all gummy and gross. Not sticky shed sticky but gel-like pliable rubber sticky. I have a feeling its just old and needs to be replaced. It shouldn't be gummy to touch correct?

So if I do need to replace this can anyone point me in the right direction of where to find:

PART NO. 5801130100 ROLLER ASSY, COUNTER

I had a Otari MX 70 that needed a new pinch roller and got one from them. Great service, nice people and good prices. I need to get one for my MSR 16 from them.

cool. I'll probably send it in on monday then.

Is the counter roller something that should be easy to remove. I'm new to this machine and fairly new to tape machines in general. From the diagram I'm looking at in the manual it appears to be attached by three bolts behind the roller. Any help you guys could give me in going about the easiest way to remove it would be great. thanks!

If it's anything like my 48, then all you do is unscrew the top cap and slide the roller out. Easy.

Also, you might wanna ask Terry just to be 100% but I think all he requires is the roller so you might wanna keep the cap, bearings etc....

Back