Tascam MSR-16 high frequency and level drop outs

dannny

Hi guys,

I'm new here and need some help with my Tascam MSR-16
I keep hearing dropouts in the high frequencies and level when listening back to the tracks, it comes in and out randomly
I've tried two different tapes (NOS quantegy and new RMGI) and I've been told that maybe the heads need relapping

I'm attaching a photo of the head

Thanks!

IMG_9909.jpgIMG_9913.jpgIMG_9914.jpg

The head looks like it would benefit from a relap but, there are other factors to consider before taking that expensive step. The first one is to make sure the heads and tape path are truly clean and that you're getting proper wrap tension on the sync head. Any bit of dirt combined with low tape wrap tension can result in random drop outs. If after those two items are addressed and you're still having problems, then consider a head relap.

Cheers! :)

Relays...

I don't know what kind of relays the MSR series uses, but I've had prolific issues of HF and overall play/record/sync play response related to aged relays...intermittent across all channels...drove me mad, but it my case the relays weren't sealed and I was able to stave off replacement by opening up the relays and carefully and thoroughly cleaning the contacts.

if it was the heads the issue wouldn't be intermittent...it would be consistent and it would be in all modes AND it would likely be most prominent on one or more of the edge tracks at the top and/or the bottom of the stack. I don't see gaps. That doesn't mean I'm right...there is no way to say for sure what I'm implying (that the heads aren't your problem) from a photograph, but I'm expressing an opinion with at least *some* basis.

The head looks like it would benefit from a relap but, there are other factors to consider before taking that expensive step. The first one is to make sure the heads and tape path are truly clean and that you're getting proper wrap tension on the sync head. Any bit of dirt combined with low tape wrap tension can result in random drop outs. If after those two items are addressed and you're still having problems, then consider a head relap.

Cheers! :)

Hi

I wouldn't say that relapping was particularly expensive - I think it will come out under $300 with JRF Magnetics. I see from the photos that relief slots have already been cut at the top and bottom, so that little job is done. But this head certainly looks like it needs a re-contour!

Regards

David Ollard
Thin Brown Line

Back