Tascam MS16 vs. MSR24-S?? (again) HEEELP!!

zozoe

I'm think of moving from my Tascam MS16 1" w/dbx, to a Tascam MSR24 1" w/Dolby S. Assuming the MSR is in good condition, any thoughts on this move,,,good or bad? For better or worse, lay it on me. Thanks in advance!! Kenny

Wrong or right, to me going from 16 to 24 tracks while staying with the same tape width amounts to lesser quality. Of course there is more to it than that, namely the heads and internal electronics, but still this sticks in my head, maybe it's something I need to get over :confused:

Do you really need 24 tracks? or just want 24 tracks? It seems like it doesnt matter how many tracks you can record on its never enough.
If the 16 is working great and there is no problems with it I would keep it.

The best thing I ever did was drop from 16 to 8 tracks. Im diggin using less to record with and I think Im doing a better job of it now.

Anytime you feel you need "more tracks" think of the Beatles records, recorded on a 4 - 8 track. That kinda brings you back, don't it ? ;)

Point is, imho, that if you simplify your recording process, you'll come out a winner everytime.

~Daniel

I'm in agreemnet, but to put things in perspective, the Beatles were a band and recorded live playing together much of the time. Backround vocals etc were often done live into one mic. For the one man show you can't get a three part harmony on one track at the same time! (unless you use some horrid harmonizer thing) lol. So I do understand the wanting of more tracks, however my 8 are enough for me.. for now anyway, lol.

EDAN said:
I'm in agreemnet, but to put things in perspective, the Beatles were a band and recorded live playing together much of the time. Backround vocals etc were often done live into one mic. For the one man show you can't get a three part harmony on one track at the same time! (unless you use some horrid harmonizer thing) lol. So I do understand the wanting of more tracks, however my 8 are enough for me.. for now anyway, lol.

Let me put it this way: One person, track by track, could recreate a pretty richly composed beatle's song on only one TASCAM 8 track recorder.

~Daniel ;)

EDAN said:
For the one man show you can't get a three part harmony on one track at the same time! (unless you use some horrid harmonizer thing)

Record to three tracks.. bounce to one.. recycle the others.
Actually erasing the originals takes a leap of faith, though ;-)

EDAN said:
For the one man show you can't get a three part harmony on one track at the same time!

Do you really have to do it all at the same time ? You could overdub yourself and then do like jpmorris suggests. This, of course, demands some prior educated guessing to get it all done nicely but it can be done. ;)

~Daniel

Back