Tascam MS16 no remote

pitol678

Hi all, I have an opportunity to get an MS16 1" but the seller says he doesn't have the remote for it. Does this limit any functions? I have a Tascam M520 which I'm under the impression that it makes a good combo with the MS16. I know little about the machine other than it looks to be in good condition (from pics) and I wanted to see if it's worth pursuing without the remote before delving any further. Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!!

Youll be fine. Just keep the unit within reach.

I have a a M520 and an MSR16 with the remote, but I never use it. I just keep it boxed cause it isn't needed, and to keep it pristine. :D

Besides, no remote = shorter cable runs. Since the 520 is unbalanced, it's a good thing.
:D

EDIT: Ignore the above. I confused your potential deck with my MSR16. Two different animals completely. :)

Last edited:
That's great! Thanks for the reply, do you happen to know the going rate for these currently? It looks good from pictures but that's about all I know apart from the seller saying it's in good condition. Anything I should specifically check when I go look at it? Obviously head wear but how much is within acceptable range? Thanks!

Last edited:
You need to have the panel that you can arm tracks for recording and switch input/sync/repro with. If it has that (sometimes mounted on the unit - sometimes with the remote) you are good as you can use the transport functions on the deck itself.

ms16 panel.jpg

Great to know man-bot! I'm hoping that the seller wasn't referring to panel when he said "remote", but I'll have to ask. Given that he said it may not be functional without it, it may in fact be what he was referring to ?

[MENTION=75619]man-bot[/MENTION]. Are you saying that some functions are only on the remote?

Edit: sorry 'speed reading' the thread, I missed that it was an MS not an MSR.

Two different decks. I'm out of my league regarding any knowledge on this machine.

Same as my MX-80 and many other big format decks...without the remote, you just have a big door stop. :D

I own an MS-16 - and I bought it without the panel in the image in my previous post. Without that you won't be able to arm tracks to record or switch between heads.

That panel is often mounted on the deck itself - but in my case it was not and I had to source a separate panel (which just happened to come with the remote transport and the AQ-65).

Either way - as long as it has that panel which will allow you to arm tracks for recording you are good! Otherwise - it won't do much for you.

Same as my MX-80 and many other big format decks...without the remote, you just have a big door stop. :D

To be fair, they can usually play back without the remote, so if it's just for transfers or something you might get away with it...

To be fair, they can usually play back without the remote, so if it's just for transfers or something you might get away with it...

Yeah...I was going to say except for playback...but then I'm wondering, what does the remote default at?

Is the last setting used...or does it always default to Repro?
TBH...I never took note, since the remote is there and I can just set it to what I need.

I'll have to pay attention the next time.

Yes...the pictured "arming panel" does not prevent the MS-16 transport from operating, but as stated above it *does* prevent you from record-arming tracks and switching the source (i.e. INPUT, RECORD, SYNC). Without it you'll be able to watch the reels spool your tape, but you will not actually be able to record anything or pass any audio to/through/from the machine.

The arming panel is typically mounted in the transport chassis, but it is a 1U rack-mount unit and often times if an operator had the auto-locator and/or remote unit mounted in a cart, the arming panel is relocated with the remote, because the remote is only the transport functions.

That sucks...door stop.

I checked my MX-80...and it seems to default to the individual input setting....and then there is a small switch that let's you set the lower row to either Sel-Rep or Repro. Normally I have that option set to Sel-Rep for the lower row of channel switches...I mean, there's little reason when you would want to have individual Repro switches during normal tracking use...so odds are, if the remote died, I would be stuck in the Sel-Rep mode. You can do playback with that but it's coming off the Rec head, not the PB head.
That's my 124 remote.

Considering the value of having the remote...with these old, out of production decks, there value in having a spare too..
I also have the later 140 remote...but I didn't pull it out to see how it defaults, though odds are it is the same as the 124.

Well...on the "positive" side...you might barter for the MS-16 anyway, and talk him way down in price, considering it's "useless" without the remote (that's how you bargain with him). Then keep hunting for a complete MS-16, and you have spare parts machine ready to go.
Yeah, it's a gamble...and who knows how long before you find a complete MS-16 ....but, just a thought if you're really committed to an MS-16.
If ever see an MX-80 semi-locally with or without remote for like real cheap...I would consider getting it just for the spare parts, though I've already accumulated quite a lot of spare stuff already.

If it’s in good shape, I would buy it as a parts deck, but only if you’re really serious about using the machine and plan on keeping it for a long time. It truly is a parts deck without that remote.

It’s a good thing you asked, because LOTS of people buy these machines without the remote. Usually, (I hope) neither buyer or seller have any idea there’s a missing component, until the new owner tries to set it up...

Pays to do your research prior to making a big purchase!

Is it actually missing the remote control unit or the actual arming panel? It will work fine without the remote. Everybody keeps saying it is missing the remote. That’s not a deal breaker. But if it’s missing the arming panel, THAT complicates things.

Is it actually missing the remote control unit or the actual arming panel? It will work fine without the remote. Everybody keeps saying it is missing the remote. That’s not a deal breaker. But if it’s missing the arming panel, THAT complicates things.

In the literature provided for the MS-16 they refer to the component used to arm the tracks as the “function remote” if memory serves... the “auto locator” would be used to RW and FF and stuff..

There are three components:

1. Arming panel (function remote?)
2. Transport remote
3. AQ-65 autolocator (if so equipped)

#2 and #3 were options. The arming panel comes mounted directly below the transport. If there was a transport remote and/or autolocator the arming panel often got moved from the transport chassis to the remote cart. So just because there is no remote does not mean the arming panel isn’t still mounted in the transport chassis.

Can you share any pics of the potential machine? That would allow definitive answers.

That sucks...door stop.

I checked my MX-80...and it seems to default to the individual input setting....and then there is a small switch that let's you set the lower row to either Sel-Rep or Repro. Normally I have that option set to Sel-Rep for the lower row of channel switches...I mean, there's little reason when you would want to have individual Repro switches during normal tracking use...so odds are, if the remote died, I would be stuck in the Sel-Rep mode. You can do playback with that but it's coming off the Rec head, not the PB head.
That's my 124 remote.

Interesting. I may be confusing myself because I do generally leave everything in repro mode for the most part, and leave the track arming set to SAFE after use. I very rarely do live overdubs on the MX80, either it's sequenced in which case hearing it off the repro is no big deal, or else it's taped on the TSR-8 (for which parts and tape are far less expensive) first and then transferred later - in repro mode.
I have seen a Lyrec 24-track for sale with no remote for use as a playback slave or transfer deck - that one does seem to default to playback only, or at least that machine was set up that way.

Either way this is an academic curiosity since how an Otari or a Lyrec behave is no firm guide to how a TASCAM will behave :3 And I second the suggestion of getting pictures to help determine if the MS16 is viable.

Last edited:
Interesting. I may be confusing myself because I do generally leave everything in repro mode for the most part, and leave the track arming set to SAFE after use. .

You have the 140 if I recall...the options are a little different than the 124 I'm using now. I have not looked at my 140 to compare.

On the 124... the Sel-Rep/Repro switch for Individual lower row switches, I always have set to Sel-Rep, because that's the how I generally use the Individual lower switches, as I'm often recording individual tracks, I need to be able to switch them on/off in Sel-Rep as needed.
There's no purpose during tracking to individually arm the Repro switches because that would put those tracks out of sync.
So...during tracking I only select Repro as all on or off (when I want to hear playback post-tracking of individual tracks), and for that I just hit the single button that turns them on/off and overrides the rest.

That means my 124 would default to that Sel-Rep setting...unless...?...when the remote is off/disconnected, the main deck automatically goes into some Repro state, regardless what was the last setting on the remote. I dunno...?

At any rate...I don't think any of use would put much value in a large format deck if there was no way to arm tracks, etc...and it was only good for playback. :)

Back