Tascam MS16 no remote

Is it actually missing the remote control unit or the actual arming panel? It will work fine without the remote. Everybody keeps saying it is missing the remote. That’s not a deal breaker. But if it’s missing the arming panel, THAT complicates things.

Unfortunately, it's the arming panel AND the remote:/

Bummer. Then it's a parts deck, or a heavy piece of furniture until/or if you can find the needed parts.
I myself would walk away.

In case anyone is interested,I have a RC-65 remote and the Function remote for sale.Please PM if interested.

If you can buy the function panel (and the remote or AQ-65 if you like) separately for a reasonable price you could really lowball the deck and perhaps save some $$. Not sure what the above is being sold for but it gives you an option at least.

I went and bought my MS-16 without the function panel... but unlike you I didn't check and then had a machine I couldn't use. Thankfully a remote w/ function panel and AQ-65 came up on eBay at the same time... et voila - working MS-16.

FYI - The AQ-65 is awesome with this deck - 100% worth the $$. The MS-16 has a pretty nice transport and the AQ-65 makes recalls a snap... no hunting. The deck itself its not great for punch-ins - you need about .5 second gap to get in cleanly, but the AQ-65 makes it so easy to recall. I loved my MCI machine - but the MS-16 transport is light years ahead (with the AQ-65!), the MCI was far better at punching in if I recall... something to do with a specific QIOR circuit.

I can’t recall specifics, but something in my brain tells me the pinch in response can be tweaked with cap values...there is a delay that is set by the value of a cap on the r/p amp card for each track. I think I came to learn of this through correspondence with somebody relative to recapping the cards in my 58, which are the same as in the MS16...hmmm.

I can’t recall specifics, but something in my brain tells me the pinch in response can be tweaked with cap values...there is a delay that is set by the value of a cap on the r/p amp card for each track. I think I came to learn of this through correspondence with somebody relative to recapping the cards in my 58, which are the same as in the MS16...hmmm.

Very curious about this mod! But, this more responsive punch in comes at the expense of what, though? Very likely something that won’t be noticeable now, but could possibly cause issues down the road, maybe? It seems to me that if it was possible to improve that function with a cap value, it would have come from the factory that way... unless it was a cost cutting measure, which seems unlikely, but who knows.

Yeah as I recall it appeared to likely be an economies of scale issue where a standard cap value was selected to maximize quantity purchasing. To be honest I don’t see that Teac abused that idealogy very deeply. With what deep diving I’ve done into their designs on a number of ‘80s vintage devices they did it right. But in this case they must have thought the delay was acceptable...the delay is a muting delay to avoid thump with the punch in. This is from memory. What I recall is that a minor tweak in the value reduces the delay without risk of the thump. I have to remember where/when/with whom the discussion occurred. It was years ago...

Hey Sweetbeats - you actually answered this about 1.5 years ago in a thread:

The info starts on post #130 here:

MS-16 story

Electrolytic caps C30 and C32 on the rec/play amp card handle the switching delay, and, again, the purpose of the delay is to abate switching noise. The stock value is 4.7uF for these caps. evm1024 removed them entirely and replaced them with staple jumpers on his amp cards since punches weren't important to him, but crisp and quick switching was. I personally am going to try 2.2uF...hopefully still manage switching noise but offer quicker switching operation. Other standard values that could be tried are 1uF and 3.3uF.

MS-16 story

Electrolytic caps C30 and C32 on the rec/play amp card handle the switching delay, and, again, the purpose of the delay is to abate switching noise. The stock value is 4.7uF for these caps. evm1024 removed them entirely and replaced them with staple jumpers on his amp cards since punches weren't important to him, but crisp and quick switching was. I personally am going to try 2.2uF...hopefully still manage switching noise but offer quicker switching operation. Other standard values that could be tried are 1uF and 3.3uF.

Good sleuthing :D

MS-16 story

Well...

I’ll be...

I’m pretty sure this is the first time I think I’ve thanked somebody for answering my question by unearthing and re-posting an old thread post I couldn't find myself.

:D:D:D

So yeah...there you go. I knew it was Ethan with whom I had corresponded about this. I also recall making a chart with all the current values and any modified values for the recap...can’t find that yet either. I hope to...there’s more stuff I was going to do besides C30 and C32 as far as tweaks, but I think those are the only changes that effect timing. It’s allllll coming g back to me. Hahah.

[EDIT]

Found my spreadsheet.

Last edited:
Back