Tascam MS-16: Spot Erase Capable?

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
Hi there,
Does anyone know if the MS-16 can do spot erases in edit mode? On my MSR-16, I think all I had to do was put it in edit mode, rock the tape to the portion I wants erase, hold record, and slide the part of the tape I wanted silenced over the erase head. Trying the same procedure didn't work last night on my MS-16. I checked the manual, but it makes no mention of being able to do this. Has anyone been successful at this? Or, will I just have to rely on the mutes on my mixer during mix down?

Thanks,
Pete

No spot erase on the MS-16 unfortunately. I believe that feature was added on the ATR-60-16.

You might be able to mod the MS-16 to do this by studying the ATR schematics to see how they added that feature and maybe copy that mod back to the MS-16 or maybe swap a transport logic board if the fit and connections stayed the same? Much of the transport is identical...so it might be possible.

Cheers! :)

Hey Ghost,
That's what I was afraid of. I'm not nearly competent enough with electronics to begin tinkering around inside there, but thanks for the info.

It won't be so bad to use my mutes.

-MD

Yep. mutes or maybe get a decent noise gate to keep things quiet while tracking or do careful punch in/outs while the tape is rolling in post production.

Cheers! :)

They're just hi-hat clicks my drummer put down in order to keep time. Once the guitar part goes over it, it'll be easy enough to mute out between the cymbal crashes.

-MD

Back