Tascam MS-16 Channel 8 Crackling/popping problems

Broderick

Hello!

any help i can get with this would be great!! basically on Channel 8 there is a high-mig/high frequency crackle the ruins overheads and pretty much anything tracked onto that channel. especially during gaps in a performance.

Its sounds like it is in sync or in "time" with the pinch roller or the other spinning big thing but that wouldn't explain why its unique to channel 8.

Interestingly the noise is only happening during playback of my RMGI SM911 tapes. i have an MRL reference calibration tape and playback on both the repro and sync heads from the reference is perfect.

another thing to note is that the crackling that is audible at the start of an RMGI 911 tape seems to turn into more of a click or pop towards the end of the tape.

i have also swapped out the corresponding channel card with another card that is working but the noise is still unique to channel 8 even with the card from channel 16 in its place.

swapping cables at the back of both the mixer and the tape machine moves the sound accordingly.

both outputs, RCA and XLR have the noise as well.

THANKS!

Hi!
I am interested in the answer if you were able to solve your problem, cause I think I currently have the same issue...

I have a TASCAM ATR60-8, which is in great condition. Unfortunately since the last session, I heard these noises that are similar to what was mentioned above. For me it’s like a clicking, cracking, sync noise on all channels but it will not be recorded on tape. This only happens when the tape recorder is in STOP mode and on the SYNC position. When I switch to REPRO the noises disappear. The noises disappear in PLAY mode whether you are in the SYNC or REPRO position.
Another problem since this: during the last listening of the session, we were able to perceive high frequencies variations on Play Back mode. We were printing the song to a computer so I was able to record these variations. These never happen in the same place and are quite rare. I can try to put a link to an audio sample tomorrow if it can help. Can this come from the tape that is getting too old? Or mishandling when demagnetizing the tape path?
For information, I demagnetized just before the session by following the known instructions to do this action…

The actual setup of the sessions is : mics goes to a Focusrite Octopre wich send the signals to the ATR, and the ATR signals are sent to an UAD Apollo 8p. The Focusrite and the UAD Apollo are sync in ADAT 44.1kHz / 16bits, everything looks like it’s sync correctly, but can this setup can produce a loop of something that creates that noises when the tape machine is in STOP/PAUSE mode?

Any advice or information is welcome...

Edit : maybe i do need to make a new thread for this?

Thank you!
R.

Last edited:
I found that the clackling noise was only here on the position "STOP MUTE" when the tape is stopped.
It seems to be sync with the red diode when the channels "records" buttons are armed. Is it normal?
There is nothing recorded when the tape is moving, so i think it's not a big problem.
For the loss of HI when playing the tape in REPRO and SYNC, I will send an audio clip here. I use fresh new tape and it's doing the same... Sometimes it's running normal and then the issue goes back...

Could be a mute transistor on one of the channel cards coupling noise to all channels- had it happen on a MS-16- or noise on the mute signal.

Back