Tascam mf-p01 (audio messed up?)

tulipsandflower

I'm new to tape, so if anyone could shed some light on my problem it would be much appreciated! Basically the machine works fine except for the microphone volume. It's extremely low, and the only way to record and hear myself is if I put the master up to 10 and the input level up there as well. When I first turn on the recorder, the lights on the "Rec Level" all light up as well but then as soon as I plug in my mic they stop. If I'm lucky the lowest -10 light will flare up though. Any one know what's going on?

A microphone often has an input level around -50dB compared to a line level of -10 or +4, so you will need an external preamp. Many decks have one built in, but it sounds like this one doesn't.

Greetings...jpmorris triggers a question: what are you using for a microphone?

I'm using 'Electro-Voice 635A Handheld Live Interview Microphone'. If it's just a matter of getting a pre amp vs. having to fix the recorder I'd be so so relieved. I'm not sure if this would help anyone as I don't understand what it means but on the manual for the mic it says:

"...The impedance shall be such that the microphone will match 50-, 150- and 250-ohm inputs. The line shall be balanced to ground and phased. The output level shall be -55dB with 0dB equaling 1.4 mV/Pascal."

What do you guys think?

So, the MF-P01 manual is a bit dubious, like it doesn’t really say anything at all about what kind of microphone is compatible, but the specs tell us that input is a high impedance input, -50dBv 50kohm. The nominal impedance of your mic is 150ohm. You have a significant impedance mismatch. There are high impedance unbalanced mics that would work with that input. Or you can get an external preamp...$20-30 on the used market. I have an ART Tube MP OPL in my gig bag. Lots of options in that type of preamp. But I do believe that is your problem. In essence, the MF-P01 does not have an onboard mic preamp for low impedance mics.

Back