Tascam M520 Story...

Your options are only limited by your imagination, but where it concerns the location of the phantom switches, your imagination needs to include a soldering iron, some replacement switches, some small gauge hookup wire, and likely a drill.

To elaborate on my previous post. I set my tracking on the board up a certain way

Drums, then guitars, then bass, vocals ect.

Once set up, I’ve never needed to go around back of the desk and play with switches.

And..... the patch bay is your friend. Remember that. You can route those channels anywhere you want as far as tape inputs or daw input channels.

Having phantom pwr switched on the back of the desk has neve been an issue for me. Ever.

You just don’t have enough time with the desk to establish a work flow yet. IMHO

Mine have always been set and forget. 1st 8 channels are always dedicated to drums.
I may just do that on Channels 3 & 4 since I’ll never be using the Phono function and they stay on MIC setting. I won’t be mic‘ing drums, so no need for a ton of phantom. Good solution, I feel stupid that I just didn’t decide to do this and dedicate some to always on. Thanks!

To elaborate on my previous post. I set my tracking on the board up a certain way

Drums, then guitars, then bass, vocals ect.

Once set up, I’ve never needed to go around back of the desk and play with switches.

And..... the patch bay is your friend. Remember that. You can route those channels anywhere you want as far as tape inputs or daw input channels.

Having phantom pwr switched on the back of the desk has neve been an issue for me. Ever.

You just don’t have enough time with the desk to establish a work flow yet. IMHO
You are correct, not enough time working with it and my sessions are small, just me, occasionally one other person, not like back when i worked in the studio and we did full bands. Thanks

Your options are only limited by your imagination, but where it concerns the location of the phantom switches, your imagination needs to include a soldering iron, some replacement switches, some small gauge hookup wire, and likely a drill.
Nice! 😉
I probably won’t go that far yet, but it sure would have been nice if they had done this already… but then, for all the M-520 CAN do for such a low price… I hate to complain.

EDIT : fixed it. I don’t really know how thought !!

Hello everybody. I’m currently in the process of mixing an album on my M512. It’s the first time I’m doing that (I’ve only been using it for tracking and summing until now), and I wanted to use bus compression on my drum buss (1&2). I removed the two jumpers on the PGM access RCA jacks 1&2, connected the PGM access RCA send jacks 1&2 to send the signal from the drum bus to my stereo compressor, and then back from the comp to the RTN jacks 1&2 on the back of the console. But unfortunately, I have no signal coming into the compressor, and of course no signal coming back to the console. Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks for your help !

Last edited:
EDIT : fixed it. I don’t really know how thought !!

Hello everybody. I’m currently in the process of mixing an album on my M512. It’s the first time I’m doing that (I’ve only been using it for tracking and summing until now), and I wanted to use bus compression on my drum buss (1&2). I removed the two jumpers on the PGM access RCA jacks 1&2, connected the PGM access RCA send jacks 1&2 to send the signal from the drum bus to my stereo compressor, and then back from the comp to the RTN jacks 1&2 on the back of the console. But unfortunately, I have no signal coming into the compressor, and of course no signal coming back to the console. Am I missing something obvious ?

Thanks for your help !
Had you not assigned the drum channels to the 1 & 2 busses? maybe? regardless, glad you got it working!

Yes I did ! As a matter of fact I think it was more a patchbay issue. But now I’ve patched the drum bus into a Fairchild compressor clone by Stam Audio and it sounds sweeeet !
Nice!! I have all my channels SND/RCV attached to a patch bay but only have three compressors in my outboard rack. I need to use some extra patchbay spots to connect my PGM access points for sure!

So happy to find an active thread on this beast of a console! I gotta jump right into this. I've been using mine for a couple of years now, and I just love the sound of it. I've got a couple of repairs to tackle soon, so i figured I'd ask the good people here if they've experienced any similar issues. If not, we can figure it out and future users can keep referencing this thread for help on their own journeys!

Issue 1 - Channel 10 is EXTREMELY distorted. Unusable. Complete can of bees. I'm assuming somethings gone down on the channel strip, opamp maybe? The whole desk was super dirty when I got it, and took hours of dusting, iso, contact cleaner, blah blah, but channel 12 never came good.

Issue 2 - PGM 6 Buss fader is basically a switch. Just a notch above 0 effectively turns the signal "on", and no more gain/volume is produced from the rest of the fader. No amount of cleaning has helped the poor fader. I use the PGM busses to feed the 8 channels of my tape machine directly, so when recording to channel 6 on tape I will swap the cables around for 6&4 as a workaround. Fairly annoying to do every session!

Last issue, and very likely my own signal flow is to blame, is the results once I've made it back to the DAW. I feel as though there must be a simple solution that I am missing. When REC I do everything OTB, console to tape. After recording, I'll do as much mixing as I can do OTB until I've reached a point I'm happy with. The idea next, is to send my 8 tracks of tape to my DAW for a final pinch of mixing, and then bounce back to a 2TRK in stereo for the finished mix.
However when I bring up my DAW, with all preamp levels on the MOTU set to 0, the levels are insanely hot, and they also seem to be compressed or limited in some sort of way. It forces me to essentially abandon the mix I was just happy with OTB, just to get some form of a clean signal into the DAW.. and by that point I don't like the mix anymore. Dynamically everything shifts - its a tough one to explain.
The only reason I want to incorporate the DAW into my setup, is to be able to use some VSTs, plugins etc on some of the tracks, and as a final domain to dump a finished mix from the 2TRK. I really don't like mixing on my DAW at all.
Is there a better way I could patch in my DAW to my system, effectively as a piece of hardware so I don't need to bounce all my tracks to the DAW? I tried running a compressor plugin thru the aux send and returns on the M520 to kind of trial that theory, but it seemed to introduce some phasing that I could only put down to latency. I've got some patch-bays hanging around that I'm ready to rig up, but for the sake of keeping things simple to understand I've taken them out of the setup completely. Here's my signal flow:

PGM 1-8 --> TAPE IN 1-8
TAPE OUT 1-8 --> 11-18 TAPE IN M-520
11-18 DIRECT OUT --> 1-8 MOTU TRAVELLER MK3 (x4 RCA-XLR x4 RCA-TRS)
MOTU OUT 1-2 (monitoring DAW) ->> 6-7 LINE IN M-520
ST MSTR B --> 2TRK TAPE IN
2TRK TAPE OUT --> 2TRK B (19-20)

thanks everyone

Issue 1 - Channel 10 is EXTREMELY distorted. Unusable…The whole desk was super dirty when I got it, and took hours of dusting, iso, contact cleaner, blah blah, but channel 12 never came good.

Channel 10 or channel 12?

What troubleshooting have you done already?

What’s your experience level fixing electronics?

What tools do you have on-hand for troubleshooting/repairing electronics?

All that aside I’ll just throw some stuff at you that I’d do.

Is the signal path bad regardless of the input? Like, it doesn’t matter what input you select and use on the channel, it’s bad?

Is the signal bad at the DIRECT OUT jack?

Is the signal bad at the ACCESS SEND jack?

Is the signal bad when you monitor the signal via one of the AUX busses set in PRE fade mode?

Understand these three monitoring means tap the signal at three very different points in the signal path, and depending on the condition of the signal at these three points it greatly narrows down where we need to look for the fault.

Please answer all the questions.

Please answer in detail.

Issue 2 - PGM 6 Buss fader is basically a switch. Just a notch above 0 effectively turns the signal "on", and no more gain/volume is produced from the rest of the fader. No amount of cleaning has helped the poor fader. I use the PGM busses to feed the 8 channels of my tape machine directly, so when recording to channel 6 on tape I will swap the cables around for 6&4 as a workaround. Fairly annoying to do every session!

Sounds like a damaged wiper bridging the tracks on the element. Which type of faders do you have on your M-520? The low-profile yellow-zinc colored body faders with the horizontal element, or the tall chrome bodied faders with the vertical element? Post a pic if you don’t know. Ask questions if you don’t even know how to access the faders. This will help me know where you’re at with your abilities and guide you. The only way to really clean the faders is to remove them from the chassis and disassemble them. Have you done that? Or are you just jetting appropriate cleaner in there?

Last issue, and very likely my own signal flow is to blame, is the results once I've made it back to the DAW. I feel as though there must be a simple solution that I am missing. When REC I do everything OTB, console to tape. After recording, I'll do as much mixing as I can do OTB until I've reached a point I'm happy with. The idea next, is to send my 8 tracks of tape to my DAW for a final pinch of mixing, and then bounce back to a 2TRK in stereo for the finished mix.

However when I bring up my DAW, with all preamp levels on the MOTU set to 0, the levels are insanely hot, and they also seem to be compressed or limited in some sort of way. It forces me to essentially abandon the mix I was just happy with OTB, just to get some form of a clean signal into the DAW.. and by that point I don't like the mix anymore. Dynamically everything shifts - its a tough one to explain.

Details matter.

MOTU what?

What inputs are you using on the MOTU?

What outputs are you using on the M-520?

Have you considered just turning down the level of the input trims on the MOTU? That’s what they are there for…to match levels. But I’m still curious about all the above questions.

Is there a better way I could patch in my DAW to my system, effectively as a piece of hardware so I don't need to bounce all my tracks to the DAW? I tried running a compressor plugin thru the aux send and returns on the M520 to kind of trial that theory, but it seemed to introduce some phasing that I could only put down to latency.

Well, this is really a work-flow setup-specific kind of question, but I think, generally speaking, if you want to use the DAW as sort of a post-production tool, that’s how I would do it…basically transfer analog tracks to the DAW after I’ve done my pre A—>D analog processing…and transfer them all at once. Because if you do them only in part, you will grapple with latency issues, and if you have any mic bleed between any tracks, or any source-sharing, you’ll hear that phase distortion. Depending on your DAW hardware and software, including the computer itself, this latency could be very minimal, but it takes very little in these circumstances where there is any signal that remains analog that is shared with signal that takes the A/D/A trip. And you really would hear it if you used an AUX buss for an insert effect like a dynamics processor, and we’re mixing dry analog signal and wet A/D/A signal. So if it’s just a matter of figuring out your levels, if you want to use the DAW in this way, you’ll spare yourself headaches if all the analog tracks are transferred to the DAW simultaneously, even if not all tracks are experiencing shaping or processing in the DAW, and dumped back out for final mix after any DAW processing. That’s how I’d do it. I think there are plenty of folks here that have more experience with this than I do and hopefully they’ll chime in, but that’s my 2 pence.

I've got some patch-bays hanging around that I'm ready to rig up, but for the sake of keeping things simple to understand I've taken them out of the setup completely.

That’s wise.

Here's my signal flow:

PGM 1-8 --> TAPE IN 1-8

TAPE OUT 1-8 --> 11-18 TAPE IN M-520

11-18 DIRECT OUT --> 1-8 MOTU TRAVELLER MK3 (x4 RCA-XLR x4 RCA-TRS)

MOTU OUT 1-2 (monitoring DAW) ->> 6-7 LINE IN M-520

ST MSTR B --> 2TRK TAPE IN

2TRK TAPE OUT --> 2TRK B (19-20)

Okay here we go…I didn’t see the detail as to the gear and the connections until I got down this far.

So first of all, your level problem…the Traveler mk3 isn’t really setup very well for transferring 8 line level signals simultaneously. It can do it. But you have to have it set right.

Inputs 1~4 are either mic or hi-Z guitar depending on which of the combo connectors you use; mic on the XLR, hi-Z guitar on the TRS jack. Look in the MOTU manual…it warns you not to connect a +4dBu line level signal to the XLR. Now, you aren’t doing that…you are connecting a -10dBV nominal line level output to the mic input. But you have to pad the signal, and expect to not need much of any gain even with the pad inserted. You understand? You’re connecting a -10dBV nominal line level output to a mic input, which is expecting a much, much lower signal level. So push each of the four front-panel mic trim controls to engage the pad for each, and turn them down until have a good signal that’s not too hot.

The inputs 5~8 are line level, but they don’t have hardware trim controls. You probably know this already but you can adjust trim here in the DSP software via your computer. But it’s a limited range, arbitrarily from “0” to “+12”. So set your output level from the Tascam to get whatever you want there, and trim the inputs at the MOTU using the DSP software. That should help with your level matching issue.

Channel 10 or channel 12?
Typo! Channel 10 only.
What troubleshooting have you done already?

What’s your experience level fixing electronics?

What tools do you have on-hand for troubleshooting/repairing electronics?
Sorry! I should have been more forward here. The TAPE IN is distorted, LINE IN, and MIC IN are both okay.

I'm pretty experienced with fixing electronics, I'm not an amateur but not quite professional either!
I've mostly worked on synthesizers, tape machines, rack processors and pedals. I've got my multimeter, soldering iron and associated things, plenty of components, audio probe, no oscilloscope. I'm better with my hands than my actual electronic knowledge goes, I can read a schematic.. but not super well. Just enough to (sometimes) understand it.
Is the signal path bad regardless of the input? Like, it doesn’t matter what input you select and use on the channel, it’s bad?
No, it's just the TAPE IN.
Is the signal bad at the DIRECT OUT jack?

Is the signal bad at the ACCESS SEND jack?
I haven't tested either of these - I'll report back.
Is the signal bad when you monitor the signal via one of the AUX busses set in PRE fade mode?
Yes (assuming i've routed it as you've said) the signal is still bad. Ch 10, sending to AUX 1 pre-fader is the same signal.
Sounds like a damaged wiper bridging the tracks on the element. Which type of faders do you have on your M-520? The low-profile yellow-zinc colored body faders with the horizontal element, or the tall chrome bodied faders with the vertical element? Post a pic if you don’t know. Ask questions if you don’t even know how to access the faders. This will help me know where you’re at with your abilities and guide you. The only way to really clean the faders is to remove them from the chassis and disassemble them. Have you done that? Or are you just jetting appropriate cleaner in there?
I've got the tall chrome bodied faders with the vertical element you've mentioned - at least in the BUSS section! I haven't unveiled the other faders as of yet as I haven't had any major issues on that side. I haven't fully rebuilt any of the faders.. just appropriate cleaner. I can tackle that job as I have re-built other faders if you think its worth a shot!

Quick side note - I'm using CRC 2.26 for pots/fader cleaning, highly recommended! It has lubrication properties as well, so it doesn't leave controls as dry as other cleaners.
That’s how I’d do it. I think there are plenty of folks here that have more experience with this than I do and hopefully they’ll chime in, but that’s my 2 pence.
Yep that's basically where I've landed with it too. I think just personally speaking for my workflow, the next best thing for me is to replace the often used VSTs and Plugins for suitable hardware. It's basically dynamic processing that I'm missing, and using EFX like verb and delay in the same way as previously mentioned isn't as awful - but I'll use my pedals before the VST anyway. Thanks for your advice here!
So first of all, your level problem…the Traveler mk3 isn’t really setup very well for transferring 8 line level signals simultaneously. It can do it. But you have to have it set right.

Inputs 1~4 are either mic or hi-Z guitar depending on which of the combo connectors you use; mic on the XLR, hi-Z guitar on the TRS jack. Look in the MOTU manual…it warns you not to connect a +4dBu line level signal to the XLR. Now, you aren’t doing that…you are connecting a -10dBV nominal line level output to the mic input. But you have to pad the signal, and expect to not need much of any gain even with the pad inserted. You understand? You’re connecting a -10dBV nominal line level output to a mic input, which is expecting a much, much lower signal level. So push each of the four front-panel mic trim controls to engage the pad for each, and turn them down until have a good signal that’s not too hot.

The inputs 5~8 are line level, but they don’t have hardware trim controls. You probably know this already but you can adjust trim here in the DSP software via your computer. But it’s a limited range, arbitrarily from “0” to “+12”. So set your output level from the Tascam to get whatever you want there, and trim the inputs at the MOTU using the DSP software. That should help with your level matching issue.
I'm totally with you here! I had been through the manual a few times trying to work out what the hell was going on - and was starting to think that the problem could be stemming from my gain staging, or something I wasn't grasping with the M-520. Now to admit the embarrassing side..

I know about the DSP software - but I largely ignored it. As mentioned, you could just push the four-front panel mic trims to engage the pads.. turns out two of these switches are faulty! Basically, 2&3 did not have PAD engaged. I was pushing away for PAD but not actually getting it. Once checking out the DSP further into the line levels, indeed those "0"-"12" gain controls were all a bit off too. I balanced it all out on the DSP, and voila. Sensible levels. Totally silly of me.

Looks like channel 2 of the MOTU is going as well (super fluttery noise regardless if anything is inputted at all!) so I'm more than happy to change this out to maybe something simple - all I really need is line in a/d. Any suggestions?

Also, Sweetbeats, real legendary stuff here. I was absolutely delighted to come back and see such a detailed response! Thanks a lot for your time, seriously awesome.

Quick reply…no bother checking direct out and ACCESS SEND jacks. If it is only the TAPE IN jack that is problematic then the issue is at or near the headwaters for that input, not a problem downstream. I’ll start looking.

Last edited:
I've got the tall chrome bodied faders with the vertical element you've mentioned - at least in the BUSS section! I haven't unveiled the other faders as of yet as I haven't had any major issues on that side. I haven't fully rebuilt any of the faders.. just appropriate cleaner. I can tackle that job as I have re-built other faders if you think its worth a shot!

If you have the upgraded optional faders in the PGM group section, you should have them in the input section too.

The vertical element faders are nice because they have a lower chance of accumulating debris, and are open at the bottom, so, if they do need cleaning, when you jet the wash from the top it has a much better chance of actually flushing debris off the element and out the bottom rather than pooling in the low-profile faders. But if you’re still having issues like that it sounds to me like you have a damaged wiper. You can disassemble and inspect…may be able to tweak the filaments back into proper place if they’re not too damaged, but they are fragile and it may never work right. You won’t know until you pull it apart. Reach out if you need guidance on what to do there.

In the end I have period-correct matching replacements, so if you end up needing one I have them.

Quick side note - I'm using CRC 2.26 for pots/fader cleaning, highly recommended! It has lubrication properties as well, so it doesn't leave controls as dry as other cleaners.

I use DeoxIT F5…same idea as what you’re using.

Looks like channel 2 of the MOTU is going as well (super fluttery noise regardless if anything is inputted at all!) so I'm more than happy to change this out to maybe something simple - all I really need is line in a/d. Any suggestions?

I’m probably not the best guy to ask because I’m more focused on the analog side of things, and most of my digital gear is more antiquated, except for my MOTU 8M, which I really like…anything from that series is a pretty sure bet, but I don’t know what your budget is or what interface protocol you’re wanting. Maybe others will chime in and there’s also the digital gear forum here and that could be a resource.

Also, Sweetbeats, real legendary stuff here. I was absolutely delighted to come back and see such a detailed response! Thanks a lot for your time, seriously awesome

You bet…thanks!

Here’s a question:

What happens if you inject signal into the channel 10 TAPE IN jack, and then monitor via the MONITOR mixer? Set the source of the MONITOR mixer channel 10 to TAPE, and then set the MONITOR SELECT switchrack to monitor “MON”…does it still sound like butt? I’m guessing so. And if so, I suspect you need to replace U2 on the channel 10 input PCB…a 4556.

I'm looking at one of these to use as a mixer to do submixes of my synths etc down to my 388s 8 channels. Been eyeing these boards off for a while and one has come up.

Are they pretty similar to the 388 in sound?

Back