Tascam M520 Story...

here's another one for sale:

sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/msg/692382968.html

i'd pick it up but i'm pretty happy with my M50

btw i'm trying to find a pdf copy of the m520's sales brochure on my drive. if i can track it down i'll upload it for you.

Did you mean something like this ?

https://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/pianodano/M520-1.jpg

https://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg137/pianodano/M520-2.jpg

Cory,

I scanned it for you. I have tons of original Tascam literaure. Seems as though I collected it when it wasn't cool. My wife has always said I keep everything, but it sure is neat to look at old sales literature.

Danny

Oh cool! :cool:

Do you have anything on the 48 or 58 decks?

How are ya, Danny?

Busy building cabinets? :)

Hi Cory,

I'm doing well. Thanks. Hope you are too. And yep, I am trying to finish up a large kitchen now in a house that was built about a 100 years ago.

I'll scan something on the 48 and 58 for you. Give me a bit.

hey thanks for uploading those. it was really interesting to read the 50-series marketing material.

No problem. Glad to do it for fellow Tascam enthusiasts (nuts) like myself. There is still a few more pages in that catolog that I haven't scanned. Let me know if you what the rest of it. I assume you can right click photobucket and save or print target if you want to- I hope you can anyway.

Danny

HOLY SMOKES!! :D

This is great guys!

Pete and Danny, thank you!

There is a lot of great info here...just the historical perspective is great too...Pete, the M500 brochure reads like a quick-start guide! :)

Danny, I love that pic on the cover of the Tascam Recording Equipment brochure...

Very cool!

So its odd to me that the M50 was placed side-by-side with the M512 and M520 consoles in that first set of pics you uploaded Danny...looking at the surface of the M50 compared to the M512, they seem virtually identical...are they? And the M50 is just labeled to be more specific to audio production?

The M520 is overkill for a single 8-track and I can easily see that it is setup nice for 16-track production...might be handy when I get my 48 up and sync'ed to the 58. OOOOOO!!:p

.....................as soon as I find....a power supply....:(

No laughing...pleez.

I know some of you are thinking you wouldn't have gone there (picking up the console without a power supply).

LET ME BE A LESSON TO YOU ALL!!! I'M DYIN' TO SEE THE THING LIT UP LIKE ON THE COVER OF THE BROCHURE ETHYRVALVE UPLOADED!!! :eek::eek::eek:

By the way, I've pulled all the knobs and switch caps off and I'm about 2/5 the way through scrubbing each one of them down.

OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE AUDIO FREAKS UNITE!!!

And yes, Dave (Hilltop Studios), I'm using a toothbrush! :D

HOLY SMOKES!! :D

This is great guys!

Pete and Danny, thank you!

There is a lot of great info here...just the historical perspective is great too...Pete, the M500 brochure reads like a quick-start guide! :)

Danny, I love that pic on the cover of the Tascam Recording Equipment brochure...

Very cool!

So its odd to me that the M50 was placed side-by-side with the M512 and M520 consoles in that first set of pics you uploaded Danny...looking at the surface of the M50 compared to the M512, they seem virtually identical...are they? And the M50 is just labeled to be more specific to audio production?

The M520 is overkill for a single 8-track and I can easily see that it is setup nice for 16-track production...might be handy when I get my 48 up and sync'ed to the 58. OOOOOO!!:p

.....................as soon as I find....a power supply....:(

No laughing...pleez.

I know some of you are thinking you wouldn't have gone there (picking up the console without a power supply).

LET ME BE A LESSON TO YOU ALL!!! I'M DYIN' TO SEE THE THING LIT UP LIKE ON THE COVER OF THE BROCHURE ETHYRVALVE UPLOADED!!! :eek::eek::eek:

By the way, I've pulled all the knobs and switch caps off and I'm about 2/5 the way through scrubbing each one of them down.

OBSESSIVE COMPULSIVE AUDIO FREAKS UNITE!!!

And yes, Dave (Hilltop Studios), I'm using a toothbrush! :D

Cory,

Hope you don't have to put too much $ into it. Jeepers, you can get a 3500 or M3700 automated version now for a pennance. Around 15K when new. Maybe 1000 bucks now. My brother has a 3700 he uses with his MCI- JH24.

I thought the 500 series was ok in the day but since I had (since new) 2 M308's, I never saw the 500's as much of a step up from there. Why don't you consider keeping an eye out for a DM24 with the analog card and iffw card. I paid 2800 for mine plus 700 for the meter bridge + 400 for the analog card + 500 for the iffw card when new and . . . . you can get it all for like less that a thousand bucks now.

I hope that's not considered blasphemy in the analog forum.

I will NEVER get rid of my DM24 because I love it, Always have and I just sub it into my Toft ATB. The automation alone was worth way more than the cost when new but considering you also get 24 i/o's (12 at 96kh) for the daw . . . . well ?

Danny

Yeah, I know, Danny...:o

There's just a piece that's been missing from my setup and its the utility of a big fat collection of analog channel strips...I've been trying to piece that together out of individual components, but its hard to avoid taking an unnecessary A/D/A trip with what I have...it ends up being kind mickey-moused (sorry Walt), and when I saw the M520 and they took $50 for it I just couldn't pass it up. It will compliment my 48/58 combo well, and having the additional features like the talkback section, built in oscillator, real VU's...I can't tell you how much that alone will be nice now that I've been doing my own calibrating y'know?

I've looked at the DM-24...over...and over...

It goes back to the Yamaha setup I'm using though. I have better GUI control with Yamaha's Studio Manager and Graphic Patchbay software. I'm really happy with the Yamaha setup. The DM-24 does some things better and some things not as well, but the Yamaha is a better fit for me. My Yamaha setup provides me 16 in and out at 96kHz and I'm happy with the converters.

The M520 though is going to fill the void I've been increasingly feeling for years now...A full traditional analog signal path. I've been trying to cheat what I know deep in my mind to be true, and I've learned a ton about the digital world in the process, but the ears in my heart and mind are aching for what contemporary culture has largely cast aside...Its a decision of emotion and passion. The DM-24, though a great package (and I've read the manual and stuff) is still going to do what all my digital gear has been doing to the sounds...I don't want to sound like some purist or expert or snob or anything because I hope to never be one...I just know after working with digital now for several years it has become hard to listen to some of the stuff that is coming out because of what the converters are doing to vocals in particular...I feel like screaming to others in the room "Can't you HEAR that?!" Its very personal and I try not to project it on others. Here is a really obvious example, Britt Nicole's Set The World on Fire. Yes, it is an mp3, and maybe they did it on purpose (adding distortion to her vocal on the chorus and bridge maybe?), but here's a woman who, IMHO has a GREAT voice, and I love this song, but it is like masochistic experience for me...I've been listening to this song all day because I love it, but I have to force myself to listen past the digital buzz on her voice...So, Danny, long answer to a short question, but I want to do what I can in the analog domain and then use the digital setup for more detailed post-production editing and possibly mastering.

Can't afford $1000 for the console though...that's why the M520 looked good...I've seen, rarely, a PS520 pop up for around $100.

Yeah, I know, Danny...:o

There's just a piece that's been missing from my setup and its the utility of a big fat collection of analog channel strips...I've been trying to piece that together out of individual components, but its hard to avoid taking an unnecessary A/D/A trip with what I have...it ends up being kind mickey-moused (sorry Walt), and when I saw the M520 and they took $50 for it I just couldn't pass it up. It will compliment my 48/58 combo well, and having the additional features like the talkback section, built in oscillator, real VU's...I can't tell you how much that alone will be nice now that I've been doing my own calibrating y'know?

I've looked at the DM-24...over...and over...

It goes back to the Yamaha setup I'm using though. I have better GUI control with Yamaha's Studio Manager and Graphic Patchbay software. I'm really happy with the Yamaha setup. The DM-24 does some things better and some things not as well, but the Yamaha is a better fit for me. My Yamaha setup provides me 16 in and out at 96kHz and I'm happy with the converters.

The M520 though is going to fill the void I've been increasingly feeling for years now...A full traditional analog signal path. I've been trying to cheat what I know deep in my mind to be true, and I've learned a ton about the digital world in the process, but the ears in my heart and mind are aching for what contemporary culture has largely cast aside...Its a decision of emotion and passion. The DM-24, though a great package (and I've read the manual and stuff) is still going to do what all my digital gear has been doing to the sounds...I don't want to sound like some purist or expert or snob or anything because I hope to never be one...I just know after working with digital now for several years it has become hard to listen to some of the stuff that is coming out because of what the converters are doing to vocals in particular...I feel like screaming to others in the room "Can't you HEAR that?!" Its very personal and I try not to project it on others. Here is a really obvious example, Britt Nicole's Set The World on Fire. Yes, it is an mp3, and maybe they did it on purpose (adding distortion to her vocal on the chorus and bridge maybe?), but here's a woman who, IMHO has a GREAT voice, and I love this song, but it is like masochistic experience for me...I've been listening to this song all day because I love it, but I have to force myself to listen past the digital buzz on her voice...So, Danny, long answer to a short question, but I want to do what I can in the analog domain and then use the digital setup for more detailed post-production editing and possibly mastering.

Can't afford $1000 for the console though...that's why the M520 looked good...I've seen, rarely, a PS520 pop up for around $100.

I forgot you had the Yamaha mixer and were using Cubase. Drat's. Well, then, get that danged 520 going. It might be a while before you see another power supply. But maybe you'll get lucky. Otoh, you could call Jim Williams and see maybe if he could build you a power supply. I gotta feeling it won't be cheap though. Also check with Patrick up in Canada and see if maybe he could find you one from Tascam Canada. Heck he might have one in his shop. Another possiblity is Tom at Amp Services down in West Palm Beach Florida. He also does heads for anyone interested. Also Audio Specialties in Texas. Can't remember his name but I have it here somewhere. In fact I have all their info here somewhere. I just can't remember where anymore

Danny

Last edited:
yeah i love my M50 but am not aware of the difference between the 2

I'm just guessing here, but, since the M50 was aimed at broadcast production, could it possibly have some extra inputs with phono preamps built in? If I recall correctly, and it's been a while, the 520 had one set of phono preamps and I assume the 512 had the same. Could it be that the M50 had more that one set?

Here's a song that I recorded MANY years ago, not long after the 520 came out, using a 520 and a 58. This was recorded in the showroom of the pro audio shop that I worked at on a couple of Sunday afternoons (a former VERY high buck Minneapolis studio facility). I DID some bounces on this one, so you are hearing second generation (along with whatever compression putfile does). http://media.putfile.com/One-Winters-Day-on-a-New-York-Subway The song is "One Winter's Day on a New York Subway" and I tried to make the background sound like a futuristic subway or some such thing. By the way, the bell at the start is my ring tone. :eek:

ausrock,

Do you have any tech info regarding the power supply......eg: schematic, etc?

Yes. I have an original full operation/service manual. It would take a little doing to get the schematic scanned, but it can certainly be done. If you are interested in seeing it, I'm interested in scanning it! :)

ethyrvalve,

I'm going to quote your post over in my 58-OB thread.

The video is very helpful. Thank you for doing that. Still not sure what I'm going to do or where the problem lies as your tension arms behave the way they are supposed to. Who knows what the tension would measure, but I bet it is good...I must be doing something wrong. Thank you again for taking the time to put that up.

pianodano,

I forgot you had the Yamaha mixer and were using Cubase. Drat's. Well, then, get that danged 520 going. It might be a while before you see another power supply. But maybe you'll get lucky. Otoh, you could call Jim Williams and see maybe if he could build you a power supply. I gotta feeling it won't be cheap though. Also check with Patrick up in Canada and see if maybe he could find you one from Tascam Canada. Heck he might have one in his shop. Another possiblity is Tom at Amp Services down in West Palm Beach Florida. He also does heads for anyone interested. Also Audio Specialties in Texas. Can't remember his name but I have it here somewhere. In fact I have all their info here somewhere. I just can't remember where anymore

I sent messages to Patrick and Tom...Is Mike Moree the name you're thinking of at Audio Specialties in Dallas, TX? I'm going to hold off on contacting Jim Williams just yet. Hoping to either find a PS520 first, and next to that I'm considering building one myself. Thank you, Danny.

Richard,

If I recall correctly, and it's been a while, the 520 had one set of phono preamps and I assume the 512 had the same. Could it be that the M50 had more that one set?

Hmm, dunno. I don't think so but...:confused: Maybe RobLogic can answer that one. ;)

Cool song by the way!

Cory,

Yes, Mike Moree is Audio Specialties. I spose you have set up a Ebay favorite search also ? IF you build one, allow for PLENTY of reserve power. But you already know that.

Danny

Back