Tascam M520 question. Hello from Spain!

nachothirdeye

Hi everyone!
This is Nach ofrom Spain...a newcomer in this great forum. sorry for my bad english!
I have the chance to buy a Tascam M520 mixer, very good condition (2 of the VU meters lights does not work, but seems an easy replacement parts).
The seller says the console is ok in all your functions and the final price that i got is 630 Euro (around USD870).

What's your opinion about?

it's a bit high price, i think, but in Spain where i lives is not easy to find these stuff at great prices.
Thanks in advance!
Gracias amigos!

Price is a bit high even if you factor the weakness of the dollar against the euro. (US$630 would be a little high, but not exceptionally so.) A quick look at Craigslist has asking prices in the $300-500 range. So it isn't too bad. I have this board and I like it. Have had it for a little over 15 years. Mine came with about half the VU bulbs out.

Thanks for your message B. Jinn!
In the U.S. is easy to find great bargains in this stuff, but in Spain is hard to find and not cheap all the old analog consoles and reel to reel recorders...maybe in Germany or U.K. is easier, but have shipping restrictions and high prices (The M520 is not small, you know!)
Buy one from the USA is not bad idea, but the problem is shipping and the spanish customs TERRIBLE fees! The electric connection is a problem too.
I read some forum threads about the M520 and seems to be a great console (not the greatest, but rocks!).
I got a Tascam M-208 and works well, but i want some more...i think the M520 will be a great adition in my little home-studio.
Is possible to find a set of new VU bulbs?

Thanks again and best regards from Spain!

Yes...its not fair to compare US market prices to European...anybody else from Europe that can chime in?

I think the last time I checked the European market on this kind of equipment was at least or about 1.5x the US market so that's around $575 +/- in adjusted US dollars which, IMO is a reasonable price for an M-520 if it is all there and all working and in good shape...not a great price but not bad, and I also know that this type of equipment is much harder to come by in many places in Europe so that needs to be factored in as well.

Is it local so you can try before you buy? That is worth something.

Does it come with the manual? You'll want that.

Thanks sweetbeats...your words are much apreciated!
Spain is not a very good country to buy old analog stuff (at good prices).
regards

VU bulbs should not be a problem and should be available from TEAC in the USA. If this one comes w/ a manual it will have the part numbers, if not feel free to ask here, I have the manual, although the manual is very helpful.

I did not mean to suggest buying one from the USA, (or even Germany or UK, as you said, these are very big and heavy, even to ship the one I have 15 years ago was very expensive for the seller who included shipping in his offer to me....) I like the M-520 though, and I have it routed to a patch bay for use with both 8 and 16 track recorders. I think it also has very logical features and signal routing.

From the pics it looks straight and clean.

Make sure it comes with the PSU and the cable that goes between the PSU and the mixer. This should be expected but it doesn't hurt to make sure.

The VU meter bulbs...no Jinn these cannot be purchased from Teac. The ones you CAN get from them are the solder-in type, not the snap-in fuse type that are in the M-520 meters. If you don't mind soldering them in then its not a problem but DON'T get them from Teac...$7~8USD EACH! Nacho, if you can order from Parts Express here in the US then that might be the ticket...they used to have a 6V 250mA axial solder-in lamp in their catalog...I only see 12V 100mA now...I have a question out to them to see if they still have or will have the 6V lamps again so stay tuned. Anyway, they are basically the same as the Teac part but not frosted glass...the difference in how it lights the meter almost cannot be seen and they are MUCH cheaper, but, again, the factory lamps snap into a holder...a fuse-type lamp but the M-520 lamps are not standard size fuse-lamps.

Thanks again for your comments!
I want to buy the M520 to use it with a Tascam TSR8 1/2 inch, and record one demo of my band "The Phantom Keys".
I would like to record everything live and then add some overdubbings (2nd voices, harmonica, organ...)
My band plays garage/rock&roll in the sixties style.
What would be a good setting for this?
thanks in advance!

Thanks 'beats and GCalo re: the bulbs. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never bothered to replace my burnt out ones. (The curse of having older gear is something always breaks, and a lamp out is something I can live with.....) Now you're all going to make me want to replace them....

My bad. That's right...8V not 6V. Thanks, Greg for catching that.

BUT, talked with Parts Express and they are no longer carrying the 6V or 8V versions, only the 12V and they don't plan on getting the 6V or 8V in again. :(

Thanks GCalo...
But seems not easy to buy some correct bulbs...is the only chance to buy some 12V bulbs to replace the broken ones of my "new"
M520?
regards

That's a bummer about P.E. but the link still shows the 8V unit. The 12V will work but will not burn as bright.

Littelfuse has a part that will do. I had found it as a back-up source when I was originally looking for them.

It is their P/N 070-275. It's 8V 100 Ma, and I'll bet it's the item P.E. was selling.

So now to find out who has them!

Back