tascam m520-help!

mbow63

I recently bought a m520 for $400 and need help.
the manual states that best results will be achieved by going direct out of each channel to the recorder (tascam38). Is there a big loss if I use the buss, it is much easier. Second, I seem to have a grasp of the monitor aspects but can't understand the mixdown system. What is tr1 and tr2 used for? The only way I can get a mix using aux 1 for fx is to put all channels in solo. Is that correct? I feel like I am missing something. Any advise would be much appreciated!

I recently bought a m520 for $400 and need help.
the manual states that best results will be achieved by going direct out of each channel to the recorder (tascam38). Is there a big loss if I use the buss, it is much easier. Second, I seem to have a grasp of the monitor aspects but can't understand the mixdown system. What is tr1 and tr2 used for? The only way I can get a mix using aux 1 for fx is to put all channels in solo. Is that correct? I feel like I am missing something. Any advise would be much appreciated!

If you are going from 1 input to 1 track, it's advisable to use the direct out for the shortest/ckeanest signal path. The buss outs allow you to assign as many inputs as you want/need to a single track. To do that, more circuitry is needed which equals more noise & distortion. I've always found the difference significant enough to use the directs whenever possible.

"TR" probably stand for Tape Return. Those are generally used as mix-down machine inputs. Your stereo outputs will feed your mix machine(s). Control room out will feed your monitor amp.

Think of the 8 PGM subgroups as a 20 x 8 infinitely variable patchbay. Do whatever makes the most sense with your setup. I used to be stuck on using the direct outs only to keep it as clean as possible...then I realized how powerful the subgroups are to avoid repatching and actually liked the sound better, and by using the subgroups you have much more monitoring control as the board operator over what you are hearing...you can still route channels to the subs for monitoring and use direct outs for tape sends too. Its up to you. Try them both out or mix and match. That's why you have that mixer...flexibility.

Rick is right. 2TR A and 2TR B are dedicated inputs for mixdown deck returns...they are setup for easy access to the monitor switchrack for quick review of playback or (in a broadcast environment) cueing up.

When I had an M-520 I had a halftrack deck connected to 2TR a and a stereo DAW return on 2TR B.

The only way I can get a mix using aux 1 for fx is to put all channels in solo. Is that correct?

You're not really making sense to me here...my quick answer is no...the SOLO and PFL busses are tools for the board operator to listen to one or more channels for quick troubleshooting or tweaking without upsetting the other mixes coming off the board. What are you trying to do with AUX1? Are you trying to use it as an effects send or a cue mix or what? You will need to make sure that the AUX1 master fader us up, and that you have the AUX 1-2 button depressed in the monitor select switchrack. That allows you to hear what is present at the AUX1 output jack on the back of the mixer.

Great tips

Yeh, starting to make sense to me now. This is my first analog board and it is a little more complicated than I thought it would be. I thank you for your advise, Mark

What is your setup? Tell us what you are connecting up to the M-520 and I can tell you how I'd hook it up.

Remember too that the M-520 is a recording board first. It'll work fine for a live board too, but the way the monitoring and summing is handled is more conventional to recording.

I am using the 520 for recording to a tascam 38. I was using an m30 and found this board cheep and in really great shape. Right now it is hooked up to buss to the 38 and one pair of monitors to 7/8 for cue mix and the other pair to master for mix down. Now I think I use another buss pair to feed mixdown deck and then into 2trb on ch 19/20 and then to mix I select 2trb in the switch rack for listening, is that correct?

Here's how Tascam designed your setup to be connected:

• 38 inputs connected to PGM GROUP 1~8 outputs
  • 38 outputs connected to TAPE IN jacks (channels 1~8 or 9~16)
  • mastering deck inputs connected to STEREO A outputs
  • mastering deck outputs connected to 2TR A inputs

But the beauty of the M-520 is there are many ways to do and your method is totally fine...if it works for you then it works for you. The M-520 is a very flexible board.

You are right about the mastering deck being connected to the 2TR A inputs because you can, with the press of a button, drop the output of that deck into the monitor mix for a quick check at the repro head of that deck during mastering, or you can source the playback to the channel strip and send it to the talent via the AUX busses...whatever.

Back