Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tascam M320: any good? Preamps specifically...

Thanks

Tascam M320: any good? Preamps specifically...

Sign in to disable this ad
    There's a guy in my area who has been trying to sell an M320 (not the 'B' version, to my knowledge) for a while. Just emailed him and he's looking for $300 for it. Is this worth it? Currently I just have an Alesis Studio 24, and I would like to step up what's in my arsenal as far as preamps. My plan has been to either spend a lot of money (graudally) on some fairly nice pres...think Sytek, not Avalon or Universal Audio...or to find some used mixer with fairly decent pres that I can get for a decent price. Is it worth it for the M320? I would be recording to a Tascam ATR-60 and an RME Fireface 800.

Thanks
    I use a couple of M312B and am very pleased with sound as well as construction and routing capabilities of this mixer. The 300 series was geared to the working band for pro PA applications as equally to serve duty in smaller budget professional studios of the day. A definite cut above home user type stuff for sure.

If you're only buying it for the preamps that works out to $15 dollars per pre. The board originally retailed for just over 4000 , mid 1980's dollars back when it was new so, factor in inflation and you'll quickly figure out that you have a damn good bargain on your hands so long as you don't mind not having phantom power, 4 extra VU meters and some slightly different effect send and receive levels compared to the B series.

Cheers!

Thanks
    well worth it !!!! but plan on doing a bunch of work on it too... cleaning.... replacing EVERY electrolytic cap in the thing.... maybe want to try different opamps while your at it...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    well worth it !!!! but plan on doing a bunch of work on it too... cleaning.... replacing EVERY electrolytic cap in the thing.... maybe want to try different opamps while your at it...
    I haven't had to change a single cap in mine so I'm not sure where your advice is coming from?

As for changing op amp chips, there's only one per channel, an NJM5532D, which is used for the EQ only, the rest is completely discrete so I'm not sure if any real effort is needed there either?

Cheers!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ghost of FM View Post
    I haven't had to change a single cap in mine so I'm not sure where your advice is coming from?

As for changing op amp chips, there's only one per channel, an NJM5532D, which is used for the EQ only, the rest is completely discrete so I'm not sure if any real effort is needed there either?

Cheers!
    from years of being a pro tech... electrolytics have a life of around 10 yrs... especially if NOT used on a regular basis.... should show up as ripple in the power supply and/or phasyness in the EQ... ya might also have channels that sound way different from each other... also that 5532 is an older op amp... ya might experience a better freq response with a quicker device (better slew rate)...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dementedchord View Post
    from years of being a pro tech... electrolytics have a life of around 10 yrs... especially if NOT used on a regular basis.... should show up as ripple in the power supply and/or phasyness in the EQ... ya might also have channels that sound way different from each other... also that 5532 is an older op amp... ya might experience a better freq response with a quicker device (better slew rate)...
    Fair enough, though it should be noted that these mods/repairs are not absolute necessities and might involve a serious investment in time and money to get this type of work professionally done for the non- DIY'er out there.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Ooh...no phantom...I hadn't thought of that. I'll still consider it though; I can always get an outboard phantom power supply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
    Ooh...no phantom...I hadn't thought of that. I'll still consider it though; I can always get an outboard phantom power supply.
    True enough!

Multi-channel phantom power supplies are cheap and readily available.

Cheers!

Beck Guest
    Opinions vary of course, but I really like the NE5532 as op-amps go. Its got a great noise figure and plenty o slew rate for high fidelity audio. A lot of great boards were built with it.

As for caps, I've had very few issues except with power supplies. None of my TASCAM mixers have needed any caps replaced in the signal chain. Caps are a potential issue with any vintage board though, regardless of manufacturer.

The M-300 series are nice boards overall... a lot of bang for the buck. IMO, $300.00 for an M-320 is a steal.

Thanks
    Hey Tim My opamp is faster than yours Na na nana

All bullshit aside I like my 312b But I have a chance to pick up a nice clean yamaha Rm800 for 300 here in bloomington that I just cant make up my mind on. I have heard great things about it but dont know if I need another mixer around here or not.
    Anythoughts?

Thread Information