Tascam M308 problem

adavidowitz

I would just like to firstly say that I have very little knowledge of analog equipment and just picked up this mixer b/c I read that it was great sounding and it was very affordable. I got an M308 off of craigslist for a really good price. When I picked it up it looked to be in good condition and I tested it out there; every channel worked and the only problems that I could find were one pan knob was broken off and one fader was missing. Now that I took it home it suddenly stopped working. It powers up but I can't get it to work. I plugged in a mic and a bass and got no signal on every channel. Does anyone know what could be wrong? I was thinking of buying the manual from tascam but if its dead then I don't want to waste $40 and I was considering bringing it in to a repair shop. I only paid $80 so if its cheep to repair I would be willing to bring it into a shop. If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate your advice.

Make sure your line/mic switch is in the right position and that you have the orange l/r buttons in on the channels you are using. Also in the master section. And make sure the channels are turned on (green lights lit) Should get audio through the board.

Those three buttons are in the right positions and the green light is lighting up. Demented I'm sorry but what do you mean by the jumpers for the inserts?

He's talking about the SEND RCV jacks on the back...should be a thingy bridging/linking the two on each channel...without it nothing gets through...

I have an M320, doesn't need any jumpers. 1/4 inch jacks for the inserts. Pretty sure the 308 is the same.

Daveg62...my bad. I wondered about that...just looked at some pictures. You are absolutely correct about the whole 300 line. No separate SEND RCV jacks on RCA's on the 300-series...1/4" unbalanced TRS jacks.

• Hm...adavidowitz...dunno...
  • Are you able to get the "OL" clip LED to light on the track you are using?
  • Have you tried all channels?
  • Any rough-handling incidents on the way home?
  • How/where was the mixer placed in the transport vehicle?

Thanks for the help guys.
I can't get the clip light on, I tried all channels and it sat flat in my trunk for the twenty minute ride home. I don't think it got banged around much during transport. Any idea whats wrong?

my bad on the inserts... seems like tascam always liked doing it this way ...

let's see... how about something chosen in the master section that mutes the rest???

I'd like to help, but somebody is going to have to lead me to a hi-res pic of the top panel of a 300-series mixer...

I,ve never opened up my 308, but could it be that the ride home partially unseated a circuit board? Might want to flip it over and take a looky peek inside.

phantom?

What kind of Mic? This board does not have phantom (M308b does phantom).

Turn on mixer
Plug dynamic min into channel 1 XLR
30 dB pad off (out)
mic trim fully clockwise
line off (button out)
EQ off (button out)
Select buss 1 (button in)
Select L-R (button in)
Pan counter clockwise (L)
channel on (button in, led lit)
No red lights anywhere on board
Ch 1 fader to "8" (White)