Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Tascam M216 Question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Tascam M216 Question

    Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey guys, real quick question, but I can't seem to find a solid answer on the interwebs.

    Does the Tascam M216 have direct RCA's out? If so, are they on all channels, just the first 8 perhaps?

    Thanks in advanced guys, I always enjoy learning from you guys on the Analog Only forum, easily the nicest dudes on homerecording, or any other recording forum!

    ~Elliot

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Alright, so I did a bit more digging and discovered that the M216 1/4" inserts can be used as direct outs. SO, if I wanted to record 8 discrete tracks directly out of each channel strip on the M216 to my Fostex Model 80, could I purchase some 1/4" to RCA cords and connect my mixer to the recorder that way? The link below is the cord I'm talking about, would this all work out fine?

    CPR202 Hosa Two 1/4" Phone Male to Two RCA Male, 6.6' Unbalanced Cable with Molded Plugs

  3. #3
    Beck Guest
    You can use the insert points in a way but it’s not ideal because the insert points are pre-fader. That means moving the channel faders will have no effect on anything sent out through the insert jacks. It is however post-trim control and EQ, so the trim control and EQ will give you some level control. The M-200 series mixers do not technically have direct outs.

    Unless you’re using it to record more than four tracks at a time it doesn’t really matter. The boards are 4-buss and have duplicate RCA program buss outputs to connect to all 8 input channels of an 8-track recorder. Most of the time you’ll be using the busses because you can route any or all the board channels to one or two tracks, and up to four tracks at once while multitracking.

    If you want to try the direct out way the cable you would need has a 1/4 TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) phone plug (like a stereo full-size stereo headphone plug) on one end and two RCA plugs on the other. The M-200 insert points are handled by one plug, like a stereo plug. The tip is the send and the ring is the return. The sleeve is the common ground for both.

    The Hosa part number is TRS-201, but I don’t see them on the site in your link. Here’s one at Sweetwater:

    Hosa TRS201 (1 Meter) | Sweetwater.com

    You can also use these if you angle them so they don’t run into each other, and then use any length RCA cable you need:

    GPR484 Hosa GPR-484 Analog Audio Adaptor, Dual RCA to 1/4" TRS


    You can also make a cable that taps the signal at the insert, yet also lets it continue the normal signal path for monitoring purposes. This cable would have a TRS plug on one end and a single RCA plug on the other. The tip and ring would be bridged inside with short length of wire or just soldered together, depending on what the TRS plug looks like inside. This keeps the circuit complete while still letting you tap the signal… basically a foldback arraignment.

    Hope that helps

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    You can use the insert points in a way but it’s not ideal because the insert points are pre-fader. That means moving the channel faders will have no effect on anything sent out through the insert jacks. It is however post-trim control and EQ, so the trim control and EQ will give you some level control. The M-200 series mixers do not technically have direct outs.

    Unless you’re using it to record more than four tracks at a time it doesn’t really matter. The boards are 4-buss and have duplicate RCA program buss outputs to connect to all 8 input channels of an 8-track recorder. Most of the time you’ll be using the busses because you can route any or all the board channels to one or two tracks, and up to four tracks at once while multitracking.

    If you want to try the direct out way the cable you would need has a 1/4 TRS (Tip-Ring-Sleeve) phone plug (like a stereo full-size stereo headphone plug) on one end and two RCA plugs on the other. The M-200 insert points are handled by one plug, like a stereo plug. The tip is the send and the ring is the return. The sleeve is the common ground for both.

    The Hosa part number is TRS-201, but I don’t see them on the site in your link. Here’s one at Sweetwater:

    Hosa TRS201 (1 Meter) | Sweetwater.com

    You can also use these if you angle them so they don’t run into each other, and then use any length RCA cable you need:

    GPR484 Hosa GPR-484 Analog Audio Adaptor, Dual RCA to 1/4" TRS


    You can also make a cable that taps the signal at the insert, yet also lets it continue the normal signal path for monitoring purposes. This cable would have a TRS plug on one end and a single RCA plug on the other. The tip and ring would be bridged inside with short length of wire or just soldered together, depending on what the TRS plug looks like inside. This keeps the circuit complete while still letting you tap the signal… basically a foldback arraignment.

    Hope that helps
    Beck, how would I go about using the TRS to the (2) RCA adapter? Would the RCA's go into two inputs on my fostex, or an input and an output of my Fostex?

  5. #5
    Beck Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by broken_arrow View Post
    Beck, how would I go about using the TRS to the (2) RCA adapter? Would the RCA's go into two inputs on my fostex, or an input and an output of my Fostex?
    In this case we’re using the insert points in a way they’re not intended to be used, but can be used. So we’re just bringing the amplified and EQ’d signal out only as a preamp for the tape deck. We don’t want it to go back in from the tape deck to the insert.

    We’re using the insert in an unconventional way as a direct out, although a less than ideal one. With this method the send side of the insert point is all we’re concerned with. A single RCA is all we need on the tape deck side. If you have the Hosa cable you just leave the other RCA plug unused.

    The tape deck outputs should go into the normal tape inputs of the mixer. On the M-208 and M-216 there are 8 tape inputs. On the M-224 there are 16 tape inputs.

    Once you start working with the board and the deck I’m pretty sure you’ll prefer using the buss outs for most things. The program buss outs can be seen as direct outs for up to four channels at a time if you use them that way. It will start to make more sense as you get familiar with the various routing options on the M-200 series mixers.

    If you need a pdf of the M-216 manual I’ve got one around here somewhere I can send you. It’s well written as most Tascam manuals are.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    In this case we’re using the insert points in a way they’re not intended to be used, but can be used. So we’re just bringing the amplified and EQ’d signal out only as a preamp for the tape deck. We don’t want it to go back in from the tape deck to the insert.

    We’re using the insert in an unconventional way as a direct out, although a less than ideal one. With this method the send side of the insert point is all we’re concerned with. A single RCA is all we need on the tape deck side. If you have the Hosa cable you just leave the other RCA plug unused.

    The tape deck outputs should go into the normal tape inputs of the mixer. On the M-208 and M-216 there are 8 tape inputs. On the M-224 there are 16 tape inputs.

    Once you start working with the board and the deck I’m pretty sure you’ll prefer using the buss outs for most things. The program buss outs can be seen as direct outs for up to four channels at a time if you use them that way. It will start to make more sense as you get familiar with the various routing options on the M-200 series mixers.

    If you need a pdf of the M-216 manual I’ve got one around here somewhere I can send you. It’s well written as most Tascam manuals are.
    Ok, wow, really great info Beck. And I actually already have the M216 manual, but thanks for the offer! I understand everything you're saying now, besides one thing. Since the tip is the send one a 1/4", why would a TS - RCA adapter not work (like the one I posted in the link above a few replies back)? I'm sure there's a reason why it can't be used, as you suggested the TRS - (2) RCA adapter instead, I'm just curious to why a TS - RCA doesn't work for this function. Thanks again for all your help Beck. ~Elliot

  7. #7
    Beck Guest
    Yes you can do it that way, but not really because then you break the signal and have no way to monitor on this particular mixer. That is, the signal will go into your M80 but that's it. You would be using only the pres of the mixer and would need a second mixer to monitor the source through the tape deck. Remember the insert send/receive point breaks the signal in order to send it through an outboard device such as a compressor, effects box, etc. If no signal is returned the rest of the mixer will be dead. Nothing will get to the channel faders or AUX sends and can't be assigned to any of the program groups or get to the stereo out or headphone out for monitoring.

    A conventional direct out is post channel fader and it doesn’t break the signal, but only taps into it.

    You could use channels 9-16 in the way you describe and then monitor through your tape deck via tape input channels 1-8 of the board, but then you effectively turn the mixer into an 8-channel mixer. You could do a lot of things, but it can start looking like someone riding a unicycle, while juggling flaming torches... and chewing gum and the same time. That is, making it a lot harder than it is.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    I see, I see. Great info as always Beck, another lesson learned haha. Thanks!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    In this case we’re using the insert points in a way they’re not intended to be used, but can be used. So we’re just bringing the amplified and EQ’d signal out only as a preamp for the tape deck. We don’t want it to go back in from the tape deck to the insert.

    We’re using the insert in an unconventional way as a direct out, although a less than ideal one. With this method the send side of the insert point is all we’re concerned with. A single RCA is all we need on the tape deck side. If you have the Hosa cable you just leave the other RCA plug unused.

    The tape deck outputs should go into the normal tape inputs of the mixer. On the M-208 and M-216 there are 8 tape inputs. On the M-224 there are 16 tape inputs.

    Once you start working with the board and the deck I’m pretty sure you’ll prefer using the buss outs for most things. The program buss outs can be seen as direct outs for up to four channels at a time if you use them that way. It will start to make more sense as you get familiar with the various routing options on the M-200 series mixers.

    If you need a pdf of the M-216 manual I’ve got one around here somewhere I can send you. It’s well written as most Tascam manuals are.
    Hey I just picked up a m-216 and would love a manual if you have one!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    M-216 manual

    Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    In this case we’re using the insert points in a way they’re not intended to be used, but can be used. So we’re just bringing the amplified and EQ’d signal out only as a preamp for the tape deck. We don’t want it to go back in from the tape deck to the insert.

    We’re using the insert in an unconventional way as a direct out, although a less than ideal one. With this method the send side of the insert point is all we’re concerned with. A single RCA is all we need on the tape deck side. If you have the Hosa cable you just leave the other RCA plug unused.

    The tape deck outputs should go into the normal tape inputs of the mixer. On the M-208 and M-216 there are 8 tape inputs. On the M-224 there are 16 tape inputs.

    Once you start working with the board and the deck I’m pretty sure you’ll prefer using the buss outs for most things. The program buss outs can be seen as direct outs for up to four channels at a time if you use them that way. It will start to make more sense as you get familiar with the various routing options on the M-200 series mixers.

    If you need a pdf of the M-216 manual I’ve got one around here somewhere I can send you. It’s well written as most Tascam manuals are.

    Hello to the distant past,

    do you still have that M-216 manual pdf.? Can't get anyone to send me one on here... THANK YOU

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Thank You Tascam for the m216 manual!!
    By desmond22 in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 05:19
  2. Tascam M216 Monitor Question
    By ottsca in forum Analog Recording & Mixing - Tape & Gear
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 10:05
  3. TASCAM m216 help please!!!
    By adjogi in forum TASCAM User Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-04-2009, 18:38
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-27-2005, 02:13
  5. tascam m216 i have no clue
    By wombwarp in forum TASCAM User Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-24-2002, 12:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •