Tascam M-520 headphone pot replacement

lo.fi.love

Functionally obsessed.
I feel like a total boob... I began my mixer-cleaning project after getting kinda buzzed on Friday night and I knocked one of my monitors over, which snapped the volume control pot shaft:

broken_volume.jpg

So, I'm gonna figure out how to replace the volume pot. Stay tuned!

I can walk you through it step by step if you like, and PM me if you need the pot itself. I probably have one.

Friends don't let friends clean buzzed.

Okay fine...I'll give you the step by step since it just seems to come rolling off my memory...I'm realizing I spent a lot of time with my M-520...

1. remove the trim strip above the armrest; with the trim strip off above the armrest you can get to the screws that fasten the bottom of the modules to the frame
  2. remove the 6 screws along the top panel just above the modules
  3. tip the whole meter bridge and backplane back exposing the screws that fasten the tops of the modules to the frame
  4. remove the screws that fasten the top and bottom flanges of the master section to the frame
  5. remove the pot knobs on the right half of the master section
  6. remove the BUSS MASTER faders 5~8 and the STEREO B MASTER fader knobs
  7. remove the screws that fasten buss master faders 5~8 to the master section
  8. remove the remaining two screws that fasten the right master section dress panel to the master section chassis (one at the top middle of the right panel and one just to the left of the "TEST TONE" label
  9. you should now be able to lift the right dress panel section free exposing the headphone level pot nut
  10. lift up the front edge of the master section; you should be able to lift it up enough to see the headphone pot body.
  11. find something to support the front edge of the master section so you can have both hands free and still access the headphone pot
  12. remove the headphone pot nut
  13. this is where it gets a little fuzzy...the headphone pot plugs into P10 on the Monitor B PCB. That's one of the PCB's that is on the bottom of the master section positioned horizontally. I *think* you can worm around and get that unplugged and plugged back in with the master section installed and tipped up like you have it if you've followed the steps above. Look at the PCB layout in the manual and locate P10 (upper left of the PCB as it is drawn on page 145 of the manual) and correlate that to the PCB as it is installed in the mixer.
I think I know how you felt when that monitor went *BAM* on your console...same sick feeling I felt when the cap that I installed backwards blew in one of my Ampex MM-1000 power supplies. "What did I just do?"

Ahhh the memories...the M-520 just has a certain amount of dignified moxy...its a handsome looking mixer with gobs of functionality with a little blend of early 80's mixer idiosyncrasy. And predates some structural value engineering steps taken in later models. One of a kind.

IMG_7864_6_1.JPG

Old thread... it took me a while to get around to this ;) I just inquired @ TEAC about a replacement headphone pot. The part number is 5282408500, which is for *two* pots. I could probably find a replacement at an electronics supply store but I'm going with the 'official' Tascam spare.

I'll post again when I install it...

Yeah...I'll get back to you soon. What is Teac charging for it? I'm wondering why its a 2-pack... I suppose it could be they package up both those pots as one kit...the h/p level and the...solo master pot? I think both of those are chassis-mounted and not PCB-mount (though of course you can use a PCB-mount pot...its just that the chassis mount pots have solder lugs on them for wire ends). I'll be looking for a pot of the same spec but it will likely be PCB mount so if that is a problem for you let me know. Its just a *little* trickier getting the wires soldered up without the larger lugs with holes in them for the wire ends but using a "third hand" makes it easy.

Let me know.

Yeah...I'll get back to you soon. What is Teac charging for it? I'm wondering why its a 2-pack... I suppose it could be they package up both those pots as one kit...the h/p level and the...solo master pot?

I just sent the email so I haven't heard back from them on price. I'm guessing they group the Headphone and Solo pots together to make inventory easier...

I think both of those are chassis-mounted and not PCB-mount (though of course you can use a PCB-mount pot...its just that the chassis mount pots have solder lugs on them for wire ends). I'll be looking for a pot of the same spec but it will likely be PCB mount so if that is a problem for you let me know. Its just a *little* trickier getting the wires soldered up without the larger lugs with holes in them for the wire ends but using a "third hand" makes it easy.

Let me know.

The headphone and solo pots are chassis mount, let me know what you turn up!

Thanks!

TEAC sells the headphone pot for $5.82 each... which is cheap, so don't sweat it if you can't find the part in your workshop. Just let me know, I appreciate your help as always :)

Yeah...do that...I looked...can't find one in that flavor and that's cheap for a new vintage part like that...sorry to sidetrack you. :o

I got the replacement pot and installed it. The master section of the mixer is crowded and a real PITA to work on, so let this serve as a warning to everyone else! Don't attempt to clean your mixer after coming home from the bar! ;)

Back