TASCAM M-320B ... what did it retail for ?

The newer B series was started in early 1987. The original non-B series was somewhere around 1985.

Thanks mate! You rawk!

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about this console, so I'm wondering you can answer a few questions:

1. I'm assuming I'm gonna hafta to replace a lot of the electrolytic caps on the M-320B I recently acquired as it was stored in a dank basement for quite some time (I've already restored the exterior to pristine, nearly-new condition but I haven't opened it up or really tested anything on it in depth yet); do you know a) how many caps are each channel strip; b) how hard it is to do such a job; and lastly, where to get the proper caps for this unit and a good price for them as well?

2. I've read a lot about the pre's on this console being great and having some nice character to them; I've also read the EQ section is nice as well. I'm considering upgrading half the channels' preamps, but is this possible? If so, what are my options?

Thanks again for the quick response earlier, and I look forward to another one. Any info you can share would be DEEPLY appreciated.

Thanks mate!

Before you go tearing into the mixer to recap it, plug it in a give it a good workout with signal going through all the channels and exercise all the pots and switches several times. Odds are you won't have to re-cap anything and maybe only clean up a few remaining scratchy switches and pots.

Re-capping it would be an immense undertaking as we're talking about hundreds of caps.

Bottom line: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Cheers! :)

Thanks again for the great info and quick reply. I've been told that the caps on this unit will dry out and cause phase issues after only a few years of proper storage (i.e., not being used and kept in an airtight case) and this one was in no way, shape, or form properly stored. And it hasn't been used for nearly a decade.

I've connected a mic to each channel's XLR input and test the gain/trim pots and faders but I only used the master VU meters as evidence of functioning, meaning I wasn't listening to each channel as I tested them. What other test methods do you recommend, especially where the EQ section is concerned? I've read that section typically has the most issues with the caps going bad/drying out and it causes some serious phase problems, which is obviously unwanted. Should I open it up and use a meter to test the caps, or would using my ears be a better method?

Also, do you have any thoughts regarding my preamp upgrade idea?

Lastly, when I ran the input test I mentioned above, none of the VU meters above the channel section (i.e., not the VU meters on the far right in the master section of the console) moved at all. Not one bit. Is there a switch or something I need to flip to engage those meters or is their lack of motion an indication they're bad or there's a short somewhere inside the console?

Thanks again, SO MUCH!

Don't know who told you about the caps drying out but their advice is not iron clad or even close to being true. Electrolytic caps can dry out from non-usage but that generally takes 30 years to happen and even then can be rejuvenated via usage.

Air tight storage might help with contacts not getting oxidized but that has no effect on caps as they're sealed devices. Open air switches, pots and wire harness connectors are more susceptible to poor storage practices.

The meters only move when signals are fed to the corresponding program busses they're designed to monitor. Read the manual to figure out the routing systems of the board. It's complicated and you need to invest the time to understand how the mixer works.

Re-capping half the board falls under my previous "bottom line advice".

I'm sorry, I guess I wasn't clear: I wasn't asking about recapping half the board; I was asking your opinion on upgrading the preamps on half of the channels to have the option of a different tonal characteristics. Do you think I could find different preamps that would fit this board? Would it be worth the effort to have the option? And if I can find different pre's, which ones would be best? I mean, I'd love to outfit half the channels with some Neve or even Trident pre's but how would go about a) finding them and 2) making sure they'd fit???

I wasn't aware electrolytic caps could be rejuvinated via use. That's great to know.

Also, in terms of the VU meters, the version of the board I have has like 12 or 14 meters (I'm not in the studio now so I can't look and get the exact number); there are four above the master section and 8 or 10 above the channel section, so I don't think the latter are for metering busses. Or are they? This is why I'm confused; I was operating under the assumption the 8 or 10 meters would show levels for the channels they're above. I know how to assign the four meters in the master section to different program busses or for aux sends or effects and whatnot, but I am really stuck regarding the other 8 or 10 meters. Thoughts?

I don't know what other pre-amps would fit or work in the mixer. I have no experience with ever trying that and have not come across anyone else who has done this. Sorry.

The 320B has 10 meters. The first 8 can be switched to read program buss outs or tape return ins. The far right remaining two are for showing the stereo buss or the aux sends. Again, this is explained in the owner's manual which is well worth the read. Read it!!! :)

Back