Tascam M-30 and Tascam 34: How do I dub vinyl records to tape with these?

Secret Saucer

I'm completely new to mixing boards and for the life of me cannot figure it out. All I want to do is dub records to tape...I don't need to use the EQ functions or even the phono preamps in the M-30. I just want to either run cables from the tape 'record' jacks on my preamp into the M-30 and from there into the 34. Or, run the outputs from my phono preamp into the M-30. All I need do is get it to drive the 34 and allow me to adjust the volume levels going to tape using tracks #1 and #3. There's gotta be a way to do this, right?

Thanks in advance for any help...

You don't need a mixer to do what you want to do. Go straight from your phono preamp to the line ins on your recorder to make your dub.

Thanks...I get the VU meters to move, but cannot get the deck to record. With the Tascam 34 I don't have any control over recording volume either, not without the mixer...goes into the red quite a lot...

There are four "Record Select" buttons above the channel 1 VU meter. you have to select the channels you want to record on by pressing the appropriate button, the relevant LEDs should light up.

You can then record by pressing the transport's Record and play buttons simultaneously.

Here is Tascam's reccomended 4-track setup with the M-30 & 34

View attachment Tascam M-30 Operation & Maintenance Manual - Page 38.pdf

You would then connect your preamp's Left & Right stereo outputs to the Line inputs of two of M-30 channels.

Last edited:
There are four "Record Select" buttons above the channel 1 VU meter. you have to select the channels you want to record on by pressing the appropriate button, the relevant LEDs should light up.

You can then record by pressing the transport's Record and play buttons simultaneously.

Here is Tascam's reccomended 4-track setup with the M-30 & 34

View attachment 107356

You would then connect your preamp's Left & Right stereo outputs to the Line inputs of two of M-30 channels.

Hi, thanks for the advice...but I've worked on this for hours and while I can get a signal through the M-30 and to the 34, the meters all move to the music, I cannot record a tape.

I tried as best I could to follow Page 38 from the manual, but I find it a bit confusing. For example, the depiction of the tape deck shows one set of RCA jacks -- there are two-inputs and outputs.

So, what I tried was patching the 34 deck outputs to the M30 channel "Tape In" jacks on the right side of the back panel of the M-30, as I think is depicted on the manual pg. 38 diagram.

Next I patched the Buss Outs (Line Outs) to the 34 rtr deck's inputs.

Then I patched the MONITOR OUT to the tape "PLAY" jacks on my preamp.

I patched the tape "REC" jacks to the BUSS IN jacks on the back panel of the M-30.

I've tried so many permutations of this I have no idea what to do next.

On the deck end I think I've been doing things right -- getting the record function working I mean: simultaneously depressing the play and record buttons, depressing the "function" buttons for each track (above the track #1 VU), and on the right depressing the "Input" button when recording. Nada. I do not get it -- unless something off with the recording deck, but as I had maintenance done in January (and haven't used it)...I tend to think it should be working all right.

I'll post pics of what I'm dealing with...

Here is a checklist for connections and switch positions.

View attachment 107381

I don't think I've missed anything.

You may find these useful to note your M-30 settings, designed to sit below the meters, I use them with my M-30.

View attachment 107382

Getting some results! Finally! Thank you so much for the checklist. It is exactly what I needed and hoped to find. Now to figure out the rest...still some puzzling problems but I might get them guessed through with playing around with knobs. Anyway, many, many thanks!

Now, I have a question... Why?

Why are you transferring albums to tape? It just seems to be an expensive process for archiving purposes. Back in the day when tape was $3 a reel, it was a nonissue, but these days, at the prices for a reel of tape, you must be doing it for some special reason. Im curious. I've dumped a few albums lately that are out of print, but I went to digital at 96k/24bit. I couldn't tell the difference between the two, even listening as closely as I could through monitors and headphones. Ultimately, I want to clean up the ticks and pops and dump to CD and MP3.

Not judging, just curious.

I have re-uploaded the connections checklist in my previous post, added content re monitor control knobs.

Thanks again! I'm still having trouble, though I feel I'm getting closer with your help...got some questions....

So for M-30 (Record)…

The first and most important question…

Buss outs 1-4 go into the 34’s Inputs. The 34 Input side I understand, but how are the M-30 Buss outs labelled? I assumed they are located on the left side of the M-30 rear panel near the “Buss In” s but how are they labelled? Line Out? Something else?

Line in for 5-6 is clear — preamp record out to line in 5 and 6 on the right bank of 8 tracks, then the Input selectors set to line. Input selector button 1 down on strip 5 and button 3 down on strip 6 — no problem.

Monitor out I have plugged in to tape “play” on the preamp.

I understand the Input, Synch and Repro buttons on the 34.

M-30 Playback

34 Output to Tape In 1-4 … the only Tape Ins I see are on the right bank, so I’m assuming that’s correct — Tape In 1-4 from among the bank of 1~8 on the right side…

Input Selector 1 & 3 set to Tape for playback — those selectors are on the right with the green knobs above, correct? Those are the only ones I see with a Tape option…

Sorry for all the questions…

M-30 Playback

34 Output to Tape In 1-4 … the only Tape Ins I see are on the right bank, so I’m assuming that’s correct — Tape In 1-4 from among the bank of 1~8 on the right side…

Input Selector 1 & 3 set to Tape for playback — those selectors are on the right with the green knobs above, correct? Those are the only ones I see with a Tape option…

Buss Outs 1-4 are labelled Line Out 1-4 in the section above "Buss Ins"

The switches 1 & 3 on the left are labeled "Remix" not Tape and connect with the tape in on the rear, (sorry I was working from memory, and only checked later)

An updated Copy of the connection file:

View attachment M-30 & 34 Connections.pdf

Do you have the M-30 Owners Manual?

Now, I have a question... Why?

Why are you transferring albums to tape? It just seems to be an expensive process for archiving purposes. Back in the day when tape was $3 a reel, it was a nonissue, but these days, at the prices for a reel of tape, you must be doing it for some special reason. Im curious. I've dumped a few albums lately that are out of print, but I went to digital at 96k/24bit. I couldn't tell the difference between the two, even listening as closely as I could through monitors and headphones. Ultimately, I want to clean up the ticks and pops and dump to CD and MP3.

Not judging, just curious.

With the equipment I own and use, tape reproduces the fidelity of the source better than digital at 24/196, to my ears, in any case. I have most of my albums dubbed to digital files at that bitrate and sampling, and I find that the same source material dubbed to metal cassette on a Nakamichi CR-7a is at least the equal of the digital file and often times better to my ears, and a reel on a Pioneer RT-707 at 7.5 ips MUCH better...so I want to try the Tascam at 15 ips. I imagine it could be flat fantastic. I could be wrong, but those are my reasons and, as the end-user/listener, I'm really the only one who counts. Also, I use some high end MC carts that I want to make last -- the dubbing helps in that regard.

All subjective, all opinion of course. I had someone ask the same question a few days ago, but he's 70 and lost all kinds of top end in his hearing. He also mentioned tape hiss. It never bothers me at the levels I listen at. I have to really crank it for it to be noticeable. Still doesn't bother me, though.

Another reason -- I have a stock of NOS reel tapes and dozens of reels recorded on once. There's no reason not to use them and see how they come out. I have somewhere around 25 10-inch Maxells still sealed/new, at least twice that number of 7-inch reels still sealed/new, and a couple dozen or more that were only recorded on once. Need something to do if we go into another lockdown. I also have ... like 150~200 still sealed vinyl LPs and was thinking it would be nice to get that first play onto tape, as well as to digital file.

Last edited:

The switches 1 & 3 on the left are labeled "Remix" not Tape and connect with the tape in on the rear, (sorry I was working from memory, and only checked later)

View attachment 107388

Hi, thanks again! After work today I'll give things a retry. I do have the M-30 owners manual, but I can't say I'm all that bright with this stuff and I found it severely confusing...

View attachment 107388

I guess I'm jinxed when it comes to this. Either the units are faulty or ...
I've followed your connection file, doubled and triple checked and I get nothing, neither on the M-30 or in the 34...

Just checking; on the 34 regarding the head shield. Sorry, but I have to ask. On the odd occasion I have missed it.

IMG_20201118_112933925.jpg

Also, I notice on the two photos of the rear of the m-30, one has the "Access send & Receive" jumpers installed and the other doesn't. Just to note that these should be installed unless you are connecting external equipment to them.

Last edited:
Just checking; on the 34 regarding the head shield. Sorry, but I have to ask. On the odd occasion I have missed it.

View attachment 107391

Also, I notice on the two photos of the rear of the m-30, one has the "Access send & Receive" jumpers installed and the other doesn't. Just to note that these should be installed unless you are connecting external equipment to them.

I've got the threading right, but the jumpers on the "Access Send & Receive" I hadn't thought of. By "jumpers" you mean the little "short the circuit" plugs?

Yes, jumpers as below, they need to be fitted along the top row input channels 1-8 on the right rear, and output channels 1-4 on the left rear.

Exactly as in your photo of the rear panel in post #6.

IMG_20171202_165643.jpg

Last edited:
Back