Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tascam M-30 mixer - problem with submix panning

Thanks

Question Tascam M-30 mixer - problem with submix panning

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hi,

I have received a ton of useful information getting my Tascam 38 set up with my Tascam M-30 mixer.. so thanks for that to this forum!

Anyway - I have run into this problem with the M-30's submix section. I use the submix section to monitor inputs and tape playback (selecting between post and tape) and can pan things left or right on all but 2 channels.

On channel 2 and 4 of the submix section, you lose all sound when you pan left. I have cleaned the pots and sort of checked out the submix card that these channels are both on but haven't tried to remove it.

Unfortunately, this all happened right at the beginning of a recording project (of course)

Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? I figure it's got to be an internal issue to the submix. I hooked up another mixer to my 38 and could hear the tracks that I recorded through the M-30 and they seemed to have hit the tape correctly, so the problem seems to just be with the monitoring of the submix.

the only other thing I can figure that might have something to do with it is that the headphone jack seems to be messed up as well. I get around this by using a headphone amplifier connected to the submix out.

When I plug headphones into the headphone jack you have to mess with the plug in order to hear stereo... like keeping the plug pulled just a little bit out of the jack which never stays in the same place for long. Otherwise it will seem to be in mono or just left or right depending.

I love the M-30 for it's vibes and convenience, but taking it in to my local service center will be expensive, so i was hoping there was something i could do on my own...

Help!

Thanks
    Greetings!

Is your issue present at the submit out jacks and also the monitor out jacks?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetbeats View Post
    Greetings!

Is your issue present at the submit out jacks and also the monitor out jacks?
    Yes it is.

Thanks
    So, because the issue occurs in all outputs fed by submix channels 2 & 4, and because the issue only occurs with those two channels, that really narrows down where the issue might originate. Unfortunately I don’t have an M-30 service manual; just the operations manual. Do you have the service manual? I’d need the schematics to help further.

Do you hear *anything* from the left side of submix 2 or 4? Or is it completely dead? How about if you hit it hard with signal? Do you get anything intermittent, like crunchy something with the transient peaks?

Thanks
    Thanks for helping me troubleshoot this!

Alright.. I turned my preamp up to 10 and could hear my distorted voice now on the Left side of both channel 2 and 4... so the left side isn't completely dead.

I do have the manual and could take pictures of the schematics for you. Most of them fold out so it's hard to scan them

Thanks
    I took some pictures... hopefully you can read them! I have to zoom in. The block diagram is cut off on the left but it's just Channels 1-6 and then 7-8 (with the 1/4" jacks instead of xlr)

I also included the schematic for the submix amplifier pcb assembly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails submix_pcb_assembly-jpg   block_diagram-jpg  

Thanks
    Thanks for the effort, but what you called the “schematic” is not the schematic...that’s the PCB layout. I need the complete electrical schematics that show the circuits at the component level. And I don’t think pictures are going to work. I’d need scans, and preferably full scans of the fold-out “tabloid” pages and not sectioned scans.

I’m not expecting you to do that, it’s just what you need for the next step.

Thanks
    OK I see what you mean, well here's the submix amplifier schematic, perhaps you can read it despite the dodgy photo quality.. I don't have a way to scan at the moment but there is also a schematic for the inputs, master monitor amplifer, power supply and the wiring.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails submix_amplifier_schematic-jpg  

Thanks
    Do you have some sort of tone generator and a decent multimeter?

Thanks
    no I don't.. I might be able to scrounge something like that together tomorrow. I'll check back when I do.

Thread Information