Tascam M-30 mixer mod question

jmarkwolf

I have two Tascam M-30 8 channel mixers. One is mint, the other pretty much good for parts. The stock configuration has 6 low-z mic XLR channels and 2 high-z 1/4" mic channels (stupid).

I'm thinking of taking two of the low-z mic channel strips from the "parts" mixer and swapping them with the two high-z mic channels on the "mint" mixer. There appears to be utterly no difference in the schematic except for the transformer on the low-z channel cards, and the back panel appears that it will accomodate the XLR connectors just fine.

This, of course makes a bastard M-30, but one with all low-z mic channels (good). Anyone know of a reason I shouldn't proceed?

It's an interesting idea.

There's no reason it wouldn't work, or that you shouldn't do it, especially if you're not considering future resale of the modded M-30.

If you thought you might ever sell the modded M-30, probably half the prospective buyers might consider your mod an upgrade, and the other half might consider it a bastardization or downgrade, but who knows. It's all the same to me, and you could always mod it back to original for resale,... if it came to that. :eek:

On the turnaround, you could mod the 2nd M-30 to have 4-XLR inputs and 4-1/4" inputs, and that would be unique, indeed! No telling if history would judge that an "upgrade" or a "downgrade", but it's irrelevant, in any case.

It kinda begs the question, why is the second M-30 just a parts vehicle? What's wrong with it & why couldn't it be fixed, outright? Just curious.

The "parts" M-30 was represented on EBAY as in good shape. When it arrived, it was clear that it had been dropped. The phenolic back plate (inside the meatal back panel), to which all the RCA connectors are press fitted was cracked and broken such that some RCA connectors didn't "peek" through the opening in the back panel. One fader is complete toast, some rotary pots are severly bent, and it looks as though some glam rock band owned it previously because some controls are coated in this greasy red makeup looking stuff! (possibly the handywork of an ex-wife).

It works, and it is salvageable, but by the time I were to find a replacement fader it might be more expensive that it is worth. I'm currenty trying to piece the phenolic back plate back together with good 'ol JBweld. But if that plate wont hold together it would be a GPITA (giant pain in the ass) just trying to connect/disconnect cables, etc.

Like I say, it may be worth more as a parts unit. I only paid $99 for it. My other M-30 is like brand new.

Back