Is a Tascam M-2516 +4???

poopchute

Hey guys,
Ive got another question. Basically Ive been dreaming lately. Dreaming of a day when I could buy myself a 2" 16 track reel to reel machine. Well I called up Blevins Audio out of Nashville and had a talk with him. He ended up recommending that I go with a MCI JH-16. But then he dropped a bomb on me. I asked him the price and he said 3500.00 I honestly was thinking it'd be closer to 2000.-2500.00. So thats 3500.00 for a JH-16 that is all setup and gone over by them but it does NOT include a Calibration tape. Thats an extra 600 bucks.
So my problem is that I could afford the JH-16 if I sell my TSR-8 and Tascam M-30 mixer. But then he got to talking about mixers. And then proceeded to drop another even bigger bomb on me. He told me that a decent mixer (that he would sell me) would go for another 3-4000.00. I had initially told him that I intended to cheap out on the mixer and go with a Tascam M-2516.
But then he warned me that most consumer level mixers are NOT +4. Saying that any mixer to be used with a JH-16 needed to have +4 outputs. He didnt know if the Tascam M-2516 had +4 or not (probably so he could recommend one of his).
So my main question is does the Tascam M-2516 have +4 outputs? Or am I crazy to cheap out on a mixer if Im going to spend that much on the Reel-to-reel?
Discuss...

I'm not sure on the 2516 but there are +4 mixers out-there which do not cost an arm and a leg to get, ones which can be had for less than 1K and some closer to 500. I think Cory, sweetbeats, is selling his nice M-520 so you may wanna ask him about it. You can also get a couple of those +4 / -10 converter boxes. Point is, it doesn't need to get expensive, especially if you're a one man band. I personally would put my money into a nice 2" deck and find a much better deal on a mixer. Don't confuse the price of a mixer as somehow equivalent to quality. That's not necessarily true. Something like the M500 series goes for peanuts and gives a great bang for the buck, even with a 2" deck.

So then would the M-520 be considered a +4 mixer? Cause I think my dream might still be alive...
I hadnt looked at a M-520 but it looks like its exactly what Im looking for. As long as its a +4 Id have no problem with it...
And yeah I would rather go with a cheaper mixer and a really nice RTR. I cant see spending 3-4-5000.00 plus on a mixer...Not when Im already thinking about dropping 3500 for a RTR...I mean what, does it record the music itself?

Hi,

The 2516 only has -10 inputs and outputs, only the main LR out would be +4.

It's easy to pad the returns from the +4 machine to -10, the problem is that you have to convert -10 to +4 from the console to the tape machine. I had a 24 channel level converter built but I'm guessing it will cost you a few 100 dollars to do.

Has the tape machine got the +4 -10 switching option?

Cheers

Alan.

p.s

Is your heart set on the MCI? you could get hold of a MSR16, that will be -10 and you can use your 1/2" tapes that you have for the TSR8, would be a who lot cheaper.

Last edited:
M-2516/2524:
  • All line-level ins are unbalanced -10dBV
  • Group and direct outs are unbalanced -10dBV
  • Aux, Control Room and Studio outs are unbalanced 0dBu
  • The Stereo outs are on XLR's and TS but in either case are unbalanced at 0dBu

M-520:
  • The whole thing is unbalanced RCA ins and outs at -10dBV, BUT...
  • There is a sweet "Balance Amp" section. It is basically an 8-channel independent unbalanced to balanced converter...8 RCA's in at -10dBV, 8 balanced XLR's out at +4 or +8dBu. You can patch ANY combination of RCA outs to the Balance Amp and convert 'em to balanced +4. Maybe you want to run your Group outs balanced...bam. You can do that. Maybe you are running the board in more of a live setting and you want your 4 Auxes and a stereo main balanced plus a couple other long balanced runs using two of the groups or something...bam. You can do that too.

Attachments

• untitled2.jpg
    untitled2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 131
Well my heart is not exactly set on the MCI...but I do have it set on a 2" 16 track setup. The other thing that Im after is that I dont want to buy from Ebay. Thats why I decided to check out Blevins. I honestly would rather pay just a little bit more for the peace of mind knowing that he'll at least stand behind it more than the average ebayer.
If anyone knows of other alternatives to Blevins let me know.
I just found out about the whole +4 requirement today.
From the specs that Sweetbeats posted Im thinking that maybe even the M-520 wont do. I dont have to have a super complicated mixer but (correct me if Im wrong) I will need a +4 mixer with at least 16 ins/outs.
Since I know next to nothing about what is out there for mixers I have to rely on you guys throwing me ideas...Honestly the M-520 looks great. Its even a large format mixer that looks professional. Thing is that Ill probably never use the mixer in any other setup besides with the MCI or other large Reel to reel. Its too bad that its not a +4...

...and here I thought, from the M-520 documentation, that the board could be switched to +4.:o Thanks for clarifying Cory and sorry poop.:(

The 300 series mixers from TASCAM could also be used for +4 tape returns by using the mic ins and trimming them back to any level you wish to deal with. They are only a 4 buss mixer but are damn clean and good sounding boards.

I have two M312B's still available but you'd have to come to Toronto to get them. 800 bucks for the pair.

I've been using them with my MS-16, 1" 16 track which is also available for 2500, fully restored with freshly re lapped heads and 100% operational.

Do you want great gear and not spend a fortune? Think about my offer. And remember, Toronto is not on another planet! :p

Cheers! :)

As much as I hate to see Jeff (Ghost) selling off his stuff, you couldn't buy from a better person. He's kept his stuff in tip-top and won't steer you wrong. When I think of Jeff I think of integrity.

It would be well worth it to anyone to drive to Toronto, if you want stuff that's been well taken care of and will last a lifetime.

I'm tempted myself, but I can barely walk in my studio as it is. :o

Another mixer option

I am also sad to see you selling your stuff Ghost. Best of luck to you in these difficult times.

Another mixer option for you would be to use a Mackie board. You'll want to make sure it's a recording console. In my estimation, they're in the same class as the Tascam M-2516/24 series, and they can be switched between -10 or +4.

-MD

Beck, So do you think that running one of those 320 mixers the way mentioned to get the +4 output is ok? Or is that rigging it and not a good overall way to run it?
And then about the mackie mixers...Can anyone come up with any model numbers so I can check them out...
This whole +4 thing has really made it hard to look for a mixer. I really plan on getting the mixer first and using it with my TSR-8 and then when I have enough money saved up getting the 16 track...

Last edited:
The new Mackie Onyx series would work, but I personally think that'd be overkill for you.

Mackie has an 8 bus series, I used to own a 32x8 Mackie console from that series that's pretty good, but they also come in 24 channels as well.

If you're looking to buy used, check out this website:

http://www.daddys.com/used/?gear=&department=56&q=&sortp=pricehigh

I've bought a lot of equipment from this store over the years and they will ship now. They also offer extended service plans on most of their equipment, so it may be worth it to give them a call. If you buy Mackie, stay away from the VLZ series, it's not going to have what you want. Daddy's currently has a 32 channel and a 24 channel used, for $899 and $749, respectively. The nice stuff about Mackie is it's still being made.

May I make a suggestion, though?

These are nice consoles - so please don't misunderstand what I'm about to write. But, you're looking to buy a 2" machine. I don't think you're going to get the full benefit of a 2 inch machine with any of the above mentioned consoles, even running at +4. How much of your effects gear is running at +4?

If you're set on 16 tracks, I think you'd be better off pairing consoles like this with a 1/2" or 1" 16 track machine. I just don't think you're going to get the boost in sound quality you're hoping for from a 2" machine on one of these consoles. That being said, I don't think you should be buying a pro console from a pro studio either. I think that would be overkill for the home recording musician and way too expensive.

I have a Soundcraft Ghost 32 channel console -- which I would argue sounds a lot better than most if not all of the consoles suggested. I got it for a steal a couple years ago for $2000, mint condition, bought locally. I don't want to start a gear war here, but I am trying to make a point: even this console shouldn't be paired with a 2" machine. I'm using a Tascam MS-16 (1" 16 track) and in the past have used a MSR-16 (1/2" 16 track). Both machines sounded amazing, and I believe a large part of it is because of the console. But, if I were ever going to "upgrade" my recorder to a 2" machine, I'd have to step-up my console at the same time.

-MD

So my problem is that I could afford the JH-16 if I sell my TSR-8 and Tascam M-30 mixer. But then he got to talking about mixers.

I just wanted to point out that this gear is not selling for as much as it was for even just a year ago. I had expected to sell one of my MSR-16's on eBay -- it never sold and they are now selling for about half of what I paid for mine. So, you may actually want to sell your equipment first, to see what you can actually get for it, before buying new stuff. I'm learning that the hard way right now when I found an MS-16 for a bargain ($700 locally).

-MD

Oh yeah themaddog, I realize that the TSR-8 plus a M-30 mixer aint gonna cover the 3500.00 JH-16. If I did its time for the white coat with the long sleeves...
One thing, I called sweetwater to ask the people there about analog mixers...He told me that for a reel-2-reel since they dont make in-line mixers )atleast they dont sell them there for less than 5000) alot of people buy double the amount of channels (in my case for a 16 track I'd need 32) and use one as the in and one as the out. He said its not totally ideal but it works...
Does it?

I'm glad you don't expect to get $3500 for the TSR-8 and the mixer, but I'm just warning you that you may not get the amount you'd expect or want for it right now; this is a problem I ran into in trying to sell my MSR-16. I've decided to hold onto it for the time being, or until I REALLY need the money.

You could buy a live board with double the number of channels. It could work.

But remember, a 2 inch machine is a pro-level machine. You should be using a pro-level board if you want to use the full potential of the machine. Also don't forget to factor in the cost of 2" tape.

-MD

Well I really hate how the whole +4 thing is limiting my mixer options. What is the +4 booster add on that was spoken of? I think Id be happy with a M320 or even a M3500 or something similar. I dont care if Im using a mixer that most pro's would laugh at as long as it works. I am a little bit fond of the Tascam mixers but If all I got to do is buy one of these converter deals and then I could use any mixer I want then thats what Ill do...

Back