Tascam M-216 concerns

famous beagle

Hey Y'all,

I scored a Tascam M-216 mixer for $100 to go along with the Tascam 38 I'll be picking up this weekend, and I have a few concerns:

1) I powered it up today and sent stereo audio through two channels at a time. I made sure that I had each channel set the exact same. It seemed that I was getting more output from, say, channels 1 & 2 than I was with channels 3 & 4. The board was extremely dusty when I got it, and I cleaned up the surface very well, but I haven't sprayed any deoxit in the pots or anything. I have noticed that some of the trim pots seem a bit scratchy. Could this be causing the level difference, and if so, is deoxit a possible solution?

2) I just noticed that this board only has one effects loop. Is it possible somehow to make use of the effects loops on the mixer section of my 414 4-track to add two effect sends?

OR ... is there some other way to use other channels of my 216 (it has 16, and I'll only have 8 tracks) and/or the busses (4), inserts, etc. as effects sends/returns?

3) I think I read somewhere that this board was slightly powered with 30 watts or something like that. Does anyone know if that's true, and if so, would that effect which outs I would need to use?

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I can do that if needed. Though, there are plenty of pictures on the net. Here are some good ones:

http://saintjohn.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Tascam-M-216-MIxer-W0QQAdIdZ59522524

Thanks!

Hey Y'all,

OR ... is there some other way to use other channels of my 216 (it has 16, and I'll only have 8 tracks) and/or the busses (4), inserts, etc. as effects sends/returns?

Thanks!

That desk has 2 FX returns although they look like mono FX returns, look & see if there are any foldback or monitor sends usually used for musicians headphone mixes while tracking. You can usually utilise these as extra FX sends during mixdown.

Also you can use the extra channels that are not connected to your 38, so that looks like another 8 inputs from your FX returns or anything else to add to your mix, MIDI keys etc

That desk has 2 FX returns although they look like mono FX returns, look & see if there are any foldback or monitor sends usually used for musicians headphone mixes while tracking.

Also you can use the extra channels that are not connected to your 38, so that looks like another 8 inputs from your FX returns or anything else to add to your mix, MIDI keys etc

Thanks for the response. I know that I could use the extra channels for effects returns, but what could I use as more sends?

There is a foldback send. So I guess that could be used as an effects send? Any other way?

Thanks!

Usually FX sends are mono so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors, 3 stereo returns (6 mono) to the mixer, if you have spare main channels use those for the better EQ & panning facilties. Turn off the FX sends on these channels of you'll get feedback!!!

You can use the inserts as FX returns on each channel, apart from that maybe it's possible to use the 3/4 Buss sends at mixdown for extra FX sends?

Usually FX sends are mono so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors, 3 stereo returns (6 mono) to the mixer, if you have spare main channels use those for the better EQ & panning facilties. Turn off the FX sends on these channels of you'll get feedback!!!

Ok, I'm not sure I understand this post. You say "so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors."

Where are you getting the number 3? I have one effects send on the board, one foldback send (that I'm guessing you're counting?), and what would be the 3rd send?

Thanks

Sorry I assumed with the foldback send there was 3 altogether due to there being 2 FX returns. Seems that the foldback is counted as one of the FX sends!!!!!! Doh!

Maybe you can use the 3 / 4 Buss outs as sends during mixdown? Can't tell for sure as the pictures are not too detailed?

Sorry I assumed with the foldback send there was 3 altogether due to there being 2 FX returns. Seems that the foldback is counted as one of the FX sends!!!!!! Doh!

Maybe you can use the 3 / 4 Buss outs as sends during mixdown? Can't tell for sure as the pictures are not too detailed?

Ok, yeah I think that would be an option. I'll look into that. Thanks for the help!

1) I powered it up today and sent stereo audio through two channels at a time. I made sure that I had each channel set the exact same. It seemed that I was getting more output from, say, channels 1 & 2 than I was with channels 3 & 4. The board was extremely dusty when I got it, and I cleaned up the surface very well, but I haven't sprayed any deoxit in the pots or anything. I have noticed that some of the trim pots seem a bit scratchy. Could this be causing the level difference, and if so, is deoxit a possible solution?
Thanks!

not likely at all... but worth a try... ya gotta clean it anyhow...

I would open it up and carefully pull each connection on the channel cards, apply deoxit and work the connections (connect and disconnec a couple times, and again, gently...provide physical support for the PCB's as you are doing this).

I would open it up and carefully pull each connection on the channel cards, apply deoxit and work the connections (connect and disconnec a couple times, and again, gently...provide physical support for the PCB's as you are doing this).

Thanks for the advice. I've worked on tube amps before, but never mixers. I know in tube amps you have to discharge the capacitors before working on them. Is this something you have to do with mixers as well? If so, what's the procedure?

Thanks!

sheeese... what have we created here... answer a few questions for the guy and suddenly he's a friggin expert....:rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice. I've worked on tube amps before, but never mixers. I know in tube amps you have to discharge the capacitors before working on them. Is this something you have to do with mixers as well? If so, what's the procedure?

Thanks!

not a concern... there's a 48V line for the phantom... and +/-15or18V but they're pretty low in current terms so little chance of death here... oh well...

???

dementedchord,

sheeese... what have we created here... answer a few questions for the guy and suddenly he's a friggin expert....

No expert here...and therefore not a friggin expert either. :)

I'm merely speaking from experience. The advice I offered worked great for me on some bad connections on my MX-80, and so far it has worked great on the connections on my M520...and certainly cleared up a number of issues on my 58. Not my brainchild either...I got the same advice from kind folks such as yourself...I'm just trying to pass it on.

What you and others have created is one more individual who is learning (and always will be) how to care/service/properly operate some rescued disrespected castaway gear, and I truly appreciate all the advice and help I've received over the years, including that which I have received from you. ;)

dementedchord,

No expert here...and therefore not a friggin expert either. :)

;)

relacks duuuuude... guess my sarcasm was lost on you this time...

i think it's great that your helpin as much as you're takin from here... and it's rare that someone joins with as much enthusiasm as you've shown... so take a deep breath and go work on something....mkay???

Hey Sweetbeats and/or Beck,

I applied Deoxit to any pots that were giving me trouble from the top side, turned them repeatedly, and it cleared up all the issues, and it's working like a dream now, with the exception of one pot.

On channel 2, the foldback knob was especially dirty and crackly. So I worked some Deoxit in, and it seemed as though it was improving, but then the problem started returning. So I tried some more Deoxit which still didn't fix it, and then some more, and finally the knob just stopped working entirely. Now I'm getting nothing from it at all---not even intermittent crackling or anything.

Is it possible to "drown" something with Deoxit? lol I mean, I didn't go crazy. I probably sprayed 4 or 5 bursts onto it. (Any other pot that was giving me trouble usually cleaned up easily after one burst.)

My second question is this: You mentioned above removing each channel card etc. and cleaning them. Well, I don't think I have to do that now, because the problem seems to have been dirty trim pots, which the Deoxit seems to have taken care of. But if I have to replace this pot for the foldback knob, I'm going to have to get in there anway, so I figured I'd ask.

Before I tried "Deoxitizing" anything, I opened up the mixer to have a look inside. I was able to pull up the left side (the Channel 1 side), but some components on the master fader side were connected to other components that are mounted to the bottom piece. I don't know if you (Sweetbeats) have any experience with this mixer, but I'm pretty sure I read that Beck has modded this exact mixer, so I'm assuming he has some experience working on them.

My question: Am I going to need to disconnect all those connections on the right side to get the top panel free for working on Channel 2, or is one able to keep those connections intact and still work on it? I didn't really push it because I didn't want to risk breaking any connections, but it didn't seem as though I had a lot of slack on that right/master fader side with which to work.

Thanks

Oooo...Beagle...I dunno. Any way you can put up a pic? I'm a visual learner so it would help me track what your talking about...

You might have a bad solder joint on one of the pins mounting the trim pot to the channel strip. It would crackle from being dirty like the rest but will also cut in and out intermittently with a cold solder joint. It could also be worn out copper or carbon inside, or the copper contacts may not be making good enough contact with the carbon.

You take the channel cards out from the bottom:

Make sure the unit is off and unplugged.

1. Remove the bottom panel

2. Remove the metal support that runs across the channel cards (Two screws on each side)

3. Carefully pull off the Input Buss PCB from the eight channel cards in the section you’re working on (rock it slightly back and forth while pulling up). They are linked together by ribbon cable. In your case for CH 2 you remove the first one.

4. Unplug the 3-wire plug from the XLR PCB near the inside rear of the unit

5. There is a screw on the outside rear of the unit for each channel card. They are right next to the Line Input of each channel. Remove the one associated to the channel card you want to remove.

6. Desolder the three wires from the channel fader for that channel. Alternately you can also remove the two screws on the top panel holding the fader, but I find having the fader dangling while working on a channel card can cause the wires to snap from excessive bending back and forth.

7. Remove all the knobs, including the grey fader knob for that channel. Leave the buttons as is, as they don’t come out that way.

8. Remove the nuts from each knob preferably with a socket wrench. The channel will then drop out. It’s a good idea to put the mixer on its side so you can support the channel card with your other hand while removing the last couple nuts.

Reinstall the channel card following the above list in reverse order. If you can’t remember how a wire goes or something you have 15 other channels for reference. ;)

By the way, I use deoxit on the pots from the inside rather than trying to spray it from the top panel. Not sure how you are doing it.

Hope that helps. Feel free to ask for clarification on anything.

:)

Back