Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tascam M-216 concerns

Thanks

Tascam M-216 concerns

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hey Y'all,

I scored a Tascam M-216 mixer for $100 to go along with the Tascam 38 I'll be picking up this weekend, and I have a few concerns:

1) I powered it up today and sent stereo audio through two channels at a time. I made sure that I had each channel set the exact same. It seemed that I was getting more output from, say, channels 1 & 2 than I was with channels 3 & 4. The board was extremely dusty when I got it, and I cleaned up the surface very well, but I haven't sprayed any deoxit in the pots or anything. I have noticed that some of the trim pots seem a bit scratchy. Could this be causing the level difference, and if so, is deoxit a possible solution?

2) I just noticed that this board only has one effects loop. Is it possible somehow to make use of the effects loops on the mixer section of my 414 4-track to add two effect sends?

OR ... is there some other way to use other channels of my 216 (it has 16, and I'll only have 8 tracks) and/or the busses (4), inserts, etc. as effects sends/returns?

3) I think I read somewhere that this board was slightly powered with 30 watts or something like that. Does anyone know if that's true, and if so, would that effect which outs I would need to use?

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but I can do that if needed. Though, there are plenty of pictures on the net. Here are some good ones:

http://saintjohn.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and...QAdIdZ59522524

Thanks!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous beagle View Post
    Hey Y'all,

OR ... is there some other way to use other channels of my 216 (it has 16, and I'll only have 8 tracks) and/or the busses (4), inserts, etc. as effects sends/returns?

Thanks!
    That desk has 2 FX returns although they look like mono FX returns, look & see if there are any foldback or monitor sends usually used for musicians headphone mixes while tracking. You can usually utilise these as extra FX sends during mixdown.

Also you can use the extra channels that are not connected to your 38, so that looks like another 8 inputs from your FX returns or anything else to add to your mix, MIDI keys etc

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by trancedental View Post
    That desk has 2 FX returns although they look like mono FX returns, look & see if there are any foldback or monitor sends usually used for musicians headphone mixes while tracking.

Also you can use the extra channels that are not connected to your 38, so that looks like another 8 inputs from your FX returns or anything else to add to your mix, MIDI keys etc
    Thanks for the response. I know that I could use the extra channels for effects returns, but what could I use as more sends?

There is a foldback send. So I guess that could be used as an effects send? Any other way?

Thanks!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Usually FX sends are mono so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors, 3 stereo returns (6 mono) to the mixer, if you have spare main channels use those for the better EQ & panning facilties. Turn off the FX sends on these channels of you'll get feedback!!!

Thanks
    You can use the inserts as FX returns on each channel, apart from that maybe it's possible to use the 3/4 Buss sends at mixdown for extra FX sends?

Thanks
    Usually FX sends are mono so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors, 3 stereo returns (6 mono) to the mixer, if you have spare main channels use those for the better EQ & panning facilties. Turn off the FX sends on these channels of you'll get feedback!!!
    Ok, I'm not sure I understand this post. You say "so that's 3 signals to send to your FX processors."

Where are you getting the number 3? I have one effects send on the board, one foldback send (that I'm guessing you're counting?), and what would be the 3rd send?

Thanks
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Sorry I assumed with the foldback send there was 3 altogether due to there being 2 FX returns. Seems that the foldback is counted as one of the FX sends!!!!!! Doh!

Maybe you can use the 3 / 4 Buss outs as sends during mixdown? Can't tell for sure as the pictures are not too detailed?

Thanks
    Sorry I assumed with the foldback send there was 3 altogether due to there being 2 FX returns. Seems that the foldback is counted as one of the FX sends!!!!!! Doh!

Maybe you can use the 3 / 4 Buss outs as sends during mixdown? Can't tell for sure as the pictures are not too detailed?
    Ok, yeah I think that would be an option. I'll look into that. Thanks for the help!
    famous beagle

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by famous beagle View Post
    1) I powered it up today and sent stereo audio through two channels at a time. I made sure that I had each channel set the exact same. It seemed that I was getting more output from, say, channels 1 & 2 than I was with channels 3 & 4. The board was extremely dusty when I got it, and I cleaned up the surface very well, but I haven't sprayed any deoxit in the pots or anything. I have noticed that some of the trim pots seem a bit scratchy. Could this be causing the level difference, and if so, is deoxit a possible solution?
    Thanks!
    not likely at all... but worth a try... ya gotta clean it anyhow...
    37.8% of all statistics are made up on the spot...

hey give a guy some room... people are trying to evolve here... for crying out loud...

Thanks
    I would open it up and carefully pull each connection on the channel cards, apply deoxit and work the connections (connect and disconnec a couple times, and again, gently...provide physical support for the PCB's as you are doing this).

Thread Information