TASCAM 80-8 on eBay...

miroslav

Cosmic Cowboy
Nice setup, some extras...but I think he is delusional about the price. :D
Well...he is also taking offers.

That said...I use to dream about having one of these...way back in the day. :)
I recall reading that the Eurythmics did their entire "Sweet Dreams" album on one of these...and I was psyched to get one hearing how great their stuff sounded. Of course, little did I know at the time that it was going to take a lot more than the deck. :p

Teac Tascam 80-8 tape recorder with DX-8 NR unit and Fostex balancing amp, MRL | eBay

And based on what you just said, he probably is in the right price range. He just needs one person.

Well...I think these days, people have all kinds of weapons to achieve top productions with....and I don't know how much the Eurhythmics using that deck would drive up the price.

There is NO WAY that guy will get anything near that price.
You can score an Otari MTR-90 for that if you wait around for one to pop up...plus, the DBX noise reduction isn't all that great....but again, back in the day, it was a dream for a home studio. :)

$2k tops...if that.

If he can get $3200 for an 80-8, maybe I need to clean up my spare 38.

Maybe time to dust of my MSR16S, both of them, my Otari mx5050, my TEAC 3340S, TEAC2300, Akai GX4000D, and any other old stuff I have laying around. Actually I did not realise I had so many reel to reel's until I started this list. :facepalm:

Alan.

On a related note, I need to add a 1" 16-track to my stable. It's a much more "niche" format than 2", but I have some friends who have some of those.

Tascam MS16 or Otari MX-70 or MX-80 would be the machines I’d be looking for if I was in the market for a 1” 16-Track.

Well the MX-80 is 2"...and I do think they've done both a 16 and 32 track version (mine is the 24).

On a related note, I need to add a 1" 16-track to my stable. It's a much more "niche" format than 2", but I have some friends who have some of those.

AFA 1" 16-track...yeah, that IS a bit of a "niche" format, but can be found.
If you do the math...a 1" 16 is the same as a 2" 32...so you aren't gaining much of anything with a 1" 16-track format, IMHO.
I would rather add a 2" 16-track head stack to my own 2" deck or go with a 1" 8-track machine for any improved audio quality with the wider tracks.

Why the 1" 16-track...when you now have the MCI 2" 24-track?

Maybe time to dust of my MSR16S, both of them, my Otari mx5050, my TEAC 3340S, TEAC2300, Akai GX4000D, and any other old stuff I have laying around. Actually I did not realise I had so many reel to reel's until I started this list. :facepalm:

Alan.

I'm not even gonna try to count. In my defense, mos... well, many of them do get pretty regular use. I quite literally inherited several of them from my father.

Tascam MS16 or Otari MX-70 or MX-80 would be the machines I’d be looking for if I was in the market for a 1” 16-Track.

A 1" 16-track is next on my hit list. I've done a lot of transfers for people in a bunch of track counts on 1/4" and 1/2", and I went for the 2" because one appeared on my radar, but I've got nearly as many people asking about 1" multis they need transferred.

Back