Tascam 688 rewinds, fast forwards, but wont play

gac

Hey everyone,

This is a continuation to a thread I posted last year: https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/analog-recording-and-mixing-tape-and-gear/tascam-688-play-back-too-fast-394619/

Basically, the problem was I'd record things, and the playback would increasingly speed up over time.

I cleaned the pinch roller, and it didn't seem to change the ever-increasing tape speed.

The rotating motor metal spindle became louder over time, and last night, eventually just stopped moving altogether.

R2tUNs2.png

I'm assuming I'll have to replace the motor, however I wanted to run it by some people on here before taking it to a tech.

I appreciate any insight!

I would start by opening it up and checking the condition of the belt (it may have fallen off), and seeing if the capstan flywheel moves freely, or if there is some resistance. Hard to say what was causing the noise without actually hearing it.

I get the feeling that this may be outside of your comfort zone, based on the thread you linked? Cassette transports are not easy to work on, imo. Lots of small, breakable parts. Better left to a tech if you don’t have at least some experience and/or are somewhat technically inclined.

Hey jglasserbell!

The noise was a very high pitch whirring, that became more intense as time passed. It started as soon as the unit turned on.

It seemed to be coming from the rotating metal spindle shown above, which has now stopped moving. The noise has stopped along with it.

This is definitely outside my comfort zone! However, I'd like to approach a tech with at least some idea what the problem might be, so I don't get taken advantage of.

The “metal spindle” is the capstan. The 688 is not a direct drive machine, which means there is a rubber belt connecting the motor that drives the capstan.

This could be a lot of things. Hard to diagnose with my limited experience with this machine. I think you are better off taking it to a tech, as I don’t think you’re going to solve your problem without opening this thing up and replacing parts.

Back