TASCAM 688 Record multiple tracks simultaneously?

gac

Hey all,

I just got myself the behemoth that is the Tascam 688.

After scouring through the manual, I found that the mode to record multiple inputs to their own respective tracks in is "Scene 10". However, It all seems to record to track 1 or 2.

I've tried turning on other "Record Functions", but only 1 and 2 seem to work, and every input records everything to Track 1 & 2 rather than their own unique track.

Included is a video of the set up as it is now:
The drum machine sound that you hear is input 9/19 and 10/20.
I have a guitar plugged in to 4/14
Mics plugged into 5/15 and 6/16

I feel like I'm overlooking something very obvious so forgive me if I'm making a typical newbie error.

Is there something I need to change to route each input to its own respective track?

Thank you all in advance!

I think I figured out the problem -- the setting in "Scene 10" input is to mic, not line. I made a new Scene and accomodated it for that.

I've wanted one of these for a long time and I know someone who's giving it away so I'm going to pay for the shipping and hope it survives the trip. He's shipping it through the UPS store which puts me at ease and makes me nervous at the same time. Anyways, it looks crazy to figure out and I'm not patient with stuff like that. I've been thinking about this model for a little while now after seeing a studio in Spain (or somewhere) that uses it as their main board and make some awesome recordings. I was shocked to see they were recorded on a 688.

I've wanted one of these for a long time and I know someone who's giving it away so I'm going to pay for the shipping and hope it survives the trip. He's shipping it through the UPS store which puts me at ease and makes me nervous at the same time. Anyways, it looks crazy to figure out and I'm not patient with stuff like that. I've been thinking about this model for a little while now after seeing a studio in Spain (or somewhere) that uses it as their main board and make some awesome recordings. I was shocked to see they were recorded on a 688.

Are you talking about Casa Cassette? :)

Yeah! That's the place. Have you heard some of the songs that were made there? I follow them on FB but they never post anything or answer questions. I wanted to know the story behind it but so far they've been mum. My 688 got shipped out today. Perfect timing too, as I just sold my Yamaha MT8X.

Yeah! That's the place. Have you heard some of the songs that were made there? I follow them on FB but they never post anything or answer questions. I wanted to know the story behind it but so far they've been mum. My 688 got shipped out today. Perfect timing too, as I just sold my Yamaha MT8X.

Yes I have heard some of their stuff and always enjoy it. I get the feeling that it's not a terribly busy place or anything, so I imagine they go months or years without checking stuff -- at least that's the impression I've gotten.

Good luck with the 688! I've never owned one, but my good friend had one back in the day, and we recorded on it then. I remember it being quite the beast and very intimidating. Hopefully the manual is helpful! :)

Back