Tascam 688 Midistudio...

VESSEL2020

Somewhere in Space
I'm posting this in the Analog forum, because I believe I'll get a better answer here than the Tascam forum.

I own 2 pristine 688's (did have 3,..but finally decided to part with one of 'em)..
and when I turn one of them on,...it is completely quiet (motor).
When I turn on the the other 688,..the motor sounds like it can use some type of lubrication?

Can anyone tell me what type of lube I should use?
Where I can get some?
Where, and how to lube the motor specifically?

I've acquired the extra 688 from my girlfriend who bought it for me as a present.
I must say she came across a great score with this thing. It looks as if someone used it twice, and stored it away in a custom made case, along with a mint remote, & a box of Maxell XL II-S's since 1990.
I think she meant to get me a 388,..but made a mistake because she's constantly hearing me talk about different spec/model #'s like 424, 388, 488, 688, etc.,..well, anyway she did good by me. Good girl.
It seems as if,..due to the fact the 688 has not been used in quite some time,..that the motor needs to be lubed.
I'm not an expert at this sort of troubleshooting,...but this would be my first guess.
There is nothing wrong with the unit at all. Every knob, and fader work perfectly,..as well as the transport section.
The heads, capstan, and pinch roller weren't even dirty after I proceeded to clean and demagnetize the unit.
She bought it from the original owner,..who had the original packaging,..and he said he's only tried using it a couple of times,..but could never quite grasp how to operate the 688. It also came with the original 688 midistudio cassette "Unlocking the Midistudios".

I'd appreciate anyone's input on this subject.
Thanks

Attachments

• 688 #2 003.jpg
    688 #2 003.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 517
  • 688 #2 014.jpg
    688 #2 014.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 501
  • 688 #2 004.jpg
    688 #2 004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 496
Wow. That is sweeeet looking!

As the proud owner of a not-so-sweet-looking 688, it is really nice to see one so well kept.

Sorry - no idea here on the lubrication question, but good luck!

Beautiful unit! :D

Try mixing some 3-in-1 oil with Vaseline. Do not get it on the pinch roller.

Thanx,...But, I'd really like to make sure I use the right stuff.
I've never used that "tincture" before,...and I'm kinda weary.

Anyone know of the proper lubrication?
I guess I'll try to call TEAC / Tascam Corp. tomorrow.

I'm so-oo glad you found my lost 688- thank you for sending it back.
seriously, that is one pristine looking machine - (I use a 488). I'd keep the girlfriend & the 688, not necessarily in that order. I would try some WD40 - it would clean any dirt or grit and it won't hurt the connections or other parts.

Anyone?
Has anyone ever had to lubricate a portastudio, or reel to reel motor before?
I called Tascam a couple days ago, while on was on lunch at work, and they gave me the run around, transferring me to different departments...leaving me on hold for a half hour, before I finally got disconnected.
Never had this problem with Tascam customer support before,..they've always been helpful in the past.
I'm just tryin' to figure out which, (correct) lubrication to use, and where.
It seems as if the noise is starting to get a little bit quieter, due to the fact I have been using the machine frequently in the past week.
This is why I think it needs to be lubed.

do something extra nice for your girlfriend. Show how much you appreciate her.
suprise her.

I think Kontakt-61 might do the trick. Kontakt-60 is for cleaning electronic parts (mainly alcohol), Kontakt-61 is for lubricating after cleaning. Used it on my Fostex X-15 and it works well. K-60 comes in a spray can with a long 'straw' for precision spraying. I ordered the spray cans on http://www.brigatti.nl/contents/nl/d51.html (Netherlands). Good luck!

By the way: I own a 688 too, and three 238's (same tape mechanism). Need to lubricate one of the 238's too ...

Last edited:
I think Kontakt-61 might do the trick. Kontakt-60 is for cleaning electronic parts (mainly alcohol), Kontakt-61 is for lubricating after cleaning. Used it on my Fostex X-15 and it works well. K-60 comes in a spray can with a long 'straw' for precision spraying. I ordered the spray cans on Smering & bescherming (Netherlands). Good luck!

By the way: I own a 688 too, and three 238's (same tape mechanism). Need to lubricate one of the 238's too ...

Wouldn't the alcohol dry the motor out?...if it is mainly alcohol?
This is why I am VERY weary about what to use.
I've gotten a couple good suggestions here,...
but, has anyone actually used any of this stuff on an electronic motor, and have it around long enough to see any results?
I definitely do not want to spray the wrong stuff into the motor, and have it seize up on me due to drying up worse than it already is.

Well,...I spoke with a Tascam Rep. today,..and he said they do NOT have any replacement motors.
He also told me,..THEY DO NOT LUBRICATE ANY MOTORS???

Well,...I did find a place called Audio Lab of Ga that carries the motor,..but it was too late in the day to get anyone on the phone.
While, I do not know if anyone on here already knows of this place,...
For future reference,...I will place the link here for everyone else.
Here it is:
Audio Lab of Ga

Forgot to add the phone # for the N. America branch
Here it is: 1-248-816-3100

Also forgot to add the motor part #
Here it is: EG-530KD-2B
DF 14 1X 06
12 v DC 1600/3200 rpm CCW

I'd definitley like to hear the result of the new motor. I was under the impression that replacement parts for the 688 did not exist; at least as far as Tascam is concerned. Although my 688 motor is humming superbly, it's reassuring to know that these motor exist.

Back