Tascam 688 compared to Tascam 424 MK 111….

If you are not into bouncing tracks, 8 originals compared to 4 will tend to make a fuller recording.

The 688 is an 8 track and actually sounds pretty damn good considering the thin track width.

Over at the new www.tascamforums.com website, the have a mix clinic there too and the moderator of that part of the site owns a 688 and he has some amazingly good recordings that sound light years ahead of the format and also has some examples of his earlier work from his 244 recordings which is a 4 tracker, like the one you were inquiring about.

My 20 year old 4 track recordings completely sucked because I had no idea how to engineer back in those early learning days.

Bottom line, I feel, is that if you are recording talented players and have decent engineering skills, you can make almost any piece of equipment sound better then it's reputation.

Cheers! :)

Thanks Ghost. I had a chance to get a 688 but I already have a Fostex reel-to-reel, so I passed. However it seems that the Fostex is getting old or something so I was contemplating a Tascam 424mk3 because the 688 is gone. I want tape mostly for recording distorted guitar tracks. Like 2 stereo tracks and no bouncing. Just copying to PC. Something like distorted guitars just sounds better on tape.

Back