Tascam 58. No output ch 1 and 2. Help!

immana

Powered up my 58 after several years. Problem is I have not sound from channels 1 and 2. VUs are moving but no audio in sync or repro mode. I opened back panels and check boards, all solder joints look good. Fuses look good. Swapped sound cards and sound cards from channels 1 and 2 work in other channels. The sound cards that worked in other channels do not work when placed in channels 1 and 2.

Not sure what my next move is. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Are the heads clean? Sometimes a bit of caked on oxide can completely mute a channel or two.

Also look over the tape path to ensure you're getting proper tape to head contact across the full width of the tape.

Make sure lifter arms are fully retracting in play or record too.

Cheers! :)

Thanks for tips but tried it all and Nada. Heads are clean and good contact made. Opened front and back panels again and cleaned all areas I could reach with contact cleaner. I'm one step away from just bringing to repair shop...and paying the $250 bench fee.

remove connectors and put deoxit on them. also on the female slots where the cards are inserted. On the switches, did you make sure you put the deoxit inside where the actual contact is ?

I used industrial QD contact cleaner. Gave a very thorough cleaning. Never used Deoxit. Is it that much better?

it is. worth a try instead of the $250. Based on what you describe it sounds like the problem is that. If you are taking it to a shop make sure you take it to one with proven experience on these decks.

Swap out ch 1-2 R/P cards with 3+4 to verify if it's a card problem.If it is,it's most likely the relays on the cards.

Swap out ch 1-2 R/P cards with 3+4 to verify if it's a card problem.If it is,it's most likely the relays on the cards.

Thanks for suggestions. Yes, I swapped the cards and verified they are good. Both worked on other channels. The cards from working channels did not work on Ch 1 or 2. Also removed cards and all harness connectors and used Deoxit generously. No dice, still nothing from ch 1 or 2. Driving me nuts.

Are you using the 58 with dbx units? If so, try bypassing them.

I suggest this only because earlier you said the vu meters were working but there was no sound. So the dbx units or the related cabling might be a possible issue to verify.

Cheers! :)

Check out my problem with my MS16.........I had a dry joint on the DBX unit on channel 8. The only way I solved it was by going over every solder joint on the DBX unit of channel 8. If both channels on your machine have gone down, I'd look at anything where the signal is handled in pairs.....that points to the DBX unit if it's similar to the MS16. From memory, the signal is in pairs on the board.

Al

Back