Tascam 488 mk11 - Help

basilfawlty

Hi folks,

Just joined the forum, though ive been reading it for the past three years or so and have learned a lot.

I just bought a Tascam 488mk11 last week. I have been recording on a PC for some years and a few weeks ago a friend loaned me a tascam and i got so much stuff done with it in such a short space of time that i just had to buy one. I immediately got one off ebay for pretty cheap in mint condition. I enjoy it a lot and find my mixes have improved ten-fold, maybe because im forced to use my ears only, as much as i try to do that with a DAW it never seems to happen.

Ive been struggling with a few things on the machine though. Monitoring levels when bouncing tracks among others. On my old four track i found this easier, but this has more knobs and buttons and DAW kids are allergic to buttons!!.

After scouring the net for 4 days or so to no avail i was wondering if anyone knew any sites with tascam tricks and tips and if anyone knew where i could get a hold of a 488mk11 manual without having to pay for a pdf on ebay. Ive looked everywhere. I thought it would be easy to get a hold one like most manuals are.

Im gonna have to spend the next week mastering the machine: routing, tricks etc as next week im recording an EP local band. The EP is gonna be called " A Tascam and a 57". Should be fun.

Thanks for reading and for any help/advice.

basilfawlty, welcome!

Glad you are having fun with your 488. Great machine, and yes they can be had for scary cheap these days.

I can't help with the manual unfortunately, and you've probably stumbled on this page already: https://homerecording.com/tas488.html

If not it may be helpful.

PLEASE consider putting up some samples of the Tascam and a 57 project as it comes together...the name alone is worth the price of admission...

Can you be more specific on your tape cue challenge? I'm certain I can help but I need a little more info.

'basilfawlty'...is that perchance related to the short-lived BBC production Fawlty Towers back in the 80's? Was Basil the first name of John Cleese's character??

Thanks for the reply, i got it for £40 and it couldnt be in better condition. Immaculate.

Yeah i found that page before i got the tascam, in fact it encouraged me to get it. The problem im having is that when i record tracks normally i can see the level going to tape on the display. But when im bouncing tracks to track 8 for example, i can never get a display for the level. If that makes sense....

I may be bouncing tracks the wrong way but i dont think so. Im just routing them with the button to the desired track. The level it happens to bounce at is ok but i would like to control it more. I knew i shouldnt have went digital. Im losing the basics. Man, i remember my first four track. A fostex with no buttons for anything. I used to just take a guitar cable from the headphones output to bounce.

I'll definitely post some stuff when its done. Shouldnt be long. Its going out on a small label in london and any feedback would be great.

And yeah, i was watching Fawlty Towers last night and it was still in my head when i was trying to think up a name. As good as any i suppose.

Yeah...

set the INPUT switches to TAPE for the tracks you want to bounce
latch the assign switches (to GROUP 3-4 in this case for tracks 7 & 8) for those tracks and set the PAN knobs (obviously hard R in this case)
Raise the GROUP 3-4 fader
latch the MONITOR GROUP 3-4 switch and make sure no other MONITOR switches are latched (i.e. GROUP 1-2, TAPE CUE)[/]
arm track 8
press PLAY

You should see a level on the track 8 meter.

Let me know.

£40 :eek: Excellent deal.

Hope this helps. ;)

Nice one mate. I got it. I wasnt raising the fader. I was just raising the ones i was bouncing from. Schoolboy error on my part. Thanks for you help.

Now all i need is to find this damn manual. I thought there would be some sort of site dedicated to Tascams. Like an appreciation society. With lots of manuals, tips, tricks etc.... I found bits and pieces but not what i thought may be out there. Thank god for this site. All i know so far is how to do a backwards solo and to change the pitch while singing. Need more tricks, im gonna milk this unit for all its worth.

Thanks again for your help.

HighLighter,

Can you tell us more about what is or is not happening?

When the power is on is the capstan shaft spinning (the little metal shift sticking out be the rubber roller at the bottom right of the tape compartment)?

Can you FFWD or REW the tape? When you press PLAY do the headstack and rubber roller (the pinch roller) move up into the tape? You can even try this without a tape in there to seebetter what is going on...open the tape door and look at the top of the tape compartment. There is a little lever the gets pushed by the tape when you put it in. Push it with your finger. The 488 now thinks there is a tape in there. Try pressing PLAY and report back what you see happening.

Back