Tascam 488 album

Oh yeah!
I also stumbled upon this a couple months ago.I think these song are really,really cool and well put together.And such a killer sound in my opinion,from a cassette 8 track with real drums.
This is why Im never gonna get rid of my 242 mkII,and I f I ever come across a 488,I'll snatch it up even though I have a 388.
Long live cassette!!!!

cool video!

I recorded my first album on a 488.

one of my winter projects is going to be getting my 238 running so I can archive all the master tapes from those days...

Just two words...

Freakin' awesome!

Now that is very impressive to me, considering I couldn't even do that with digital.:o

Though not the first craft I ever used for recording, the 488 was my first love in the recording stakes.
I'd used a Fostex X15 which was good but I learned early on that 4 tracks was never going to do it for me. When a project ended up with in excess of 10 tracks and just sounded like mud, with all that bouncing {Sergeant Pepper it wasn't !}, I figured 8 track was the way to go. A salesman in this second hand musical instrument shop I went into down in Kentish Town gave me some great advice. He said "Whatever you do, don't buy a cassette based 8 track portastudio, they're absolute shit". So I did some research (this was in the summer of '92) and decided that because cassettes were then and still are, my thing, I was going to ignore his advice because it was great advice but it was born of bias, not balance. 18 years on, I still have and use the 488. I've recorded tons of songs on it and learned 75% of what I know on it. That salesman really had his finger on the button ! And he pushed the wrong one on me !

I love my 488!!!! I get really tired of people giving cassette so much shit. I really think that you can some great results with them. Plus it's fun! So much more fun than "Cntrl + ALT + Delete"

First full-length project I was involved in in 1992 was on a 488mkII...and IMHO it came out sounding great. We could afford the gear so we did it on a RENTED 488mkII. :D

Now go to those links above and see what everybody is raving about... ;)

:laughings::laughings::laughings:That's awesome!!!

"I apologize for any economic hardship that may have incured whilst I was using my pseudonym."

"And every time I feel strongly 'bout something, computers are there to tell me I was wrong...wrrrongggg."

:):D:laughings::laughings::laughings::drunk::p

Seriously...that sounds really good...I'm listening to the spectral content and the presence and tightness of the lower frequencies is great...it is just a nice balanced easy-on-the-ears package. This is especially impressive considering the masters have been digitized, compressed and streamed. Wow.

One thing though...I don't recall the 488 having flying faders?

Somebody get that guy a people's choice award, huh?

Back