Tascam 48 Pinch Roller

Ladnar

Hiya folks,
I need help! Today while recording on my Tascam 48, I finished a track and rewound, then hit play and then..nothing!
I noticed the pinch roller stopped spinning.
I turned off the deck for awhile and when I turned it back on, the roller started spinning. However when I engaged it to play everything stopped again.
So, I am assuming it's the pinch roller motor.
Now I have a non-working Tascam 38 and I know the pinch roller works on that one and was wondering if it's the same motor and how easy is it to replace?

Thanks for any and all of your advice and help!
Randal

Hi,

I believe you are referring to the capstan motor, which spins the white ceramic shaft. The pinch roller is directly above it and is not run by a motor.

When you press play the pinch roller should drop down onto the capstan shaft.

Is that happening?

I dont know if it is the same motor or not but it could be just the belt on your 48. That is if its a belt drive like the 38.

Yes, the Pinch Roller is dropping dow, however the white porcilene captstan is NOT turning, as it has in the past.

Randal

Ok, my first guess is the pinch roller is applying too much pressure to the capstan shaft which would stop all 3 motors from spinning.

It could be a tape tension issue or the switch in the right tension arm. Check to see how far you have to lift the right tension arm before the capstan starts spinning... and then lift it to a higher position to see if it cuts out intermittently.

Also, if take-up tension is too low the capstan and pinch roller will move the tape faster than the take-up tension can keep up with it. This will cause the right tension roller to drop for a spit-second, which will stop the machine.

It could be the motor, but I would look at tension and switch contacts first.

:)

Doesn't the capstan spin constantly on the 40 series tascams?

On my 42, and both 48's it does. If you have the power on, the capstan is spinning.

Randal

Does your capstan spin when you have the machine powered up before you hit play?

So are saying that when you hit play the pinch roller engages (drops down) onto the capstan and nothing happens and the capstan stops spinning.

If that is the case, maybe just check to see that the pinch roller is spinning freely in the disengaged position. It might be that something is wrong with the spinning rubber part of the pinch roller. If that thing was froze up and wouldn't spin, it would definitely stop the whole machine when engaged.

Ooh :( … that’s unfortunate. I didn’t remember the 40-series having an ever-spinning capstan. Well, that puts the capstan motor nearer the top of the list of things to go bad first.

If the pinch roller spins freely by hand then the capstan motor is defiantly a “person of interest.”

It has a great pinch roller… I’ve never seen one frozen up or over-tensioned, but they do go soft and gummy sooner or later.

Yes, the capstan spins as you turn it on.(BEFORE it stopped working) The pinch roller freely spins and doesn't "stick, hesitate.

I assume the motor of my 38 will work for it.
Anyone know if this is something I can attempt? I mean, what would be involved?

Thanks to all who replied!
Also I live in Arkansas, anyone know a repair place near me that can do the work. I travel monthly to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area if anyone knows a tech around there.

Thanks again!
Randal

I would check the fuses behind the upper back panel first.
Should be 7-8 fuses there and one controls the power-supply board.

Does the other functions work Rewind, Fforward or ?

Thanks.
I found my Tech book for the 48.
I will check the fuse tonight, I hope that's all it is!

The instructions for removing the captan motor says it's pretty simple. Just remove the 4 screws that hold it on and disconnect the connector.

Wish me luck!

Randal

Hmm, if the other functions works, you probably don't find a bad fuse.
My best guess is the actual capstan-motor or power-supply board has problems. :(

Vintage Texas,

Do you know of anyone who can repair this machine in Houston? It's an 8 hr drive for me and I usually go to Houston abt 6 times a year and know my way around very well.

Thanks

Randal

I assume the motor of my 38 will work for it.

I hope so, but frankly I'd be surprised. You're going to want rather different requirements for a motor that drives a large flywheel from a drive belt and a motor that is directly attached to the capstan.

Good luck with it...

Did you try trouble shoot the deck again or ?
It can also be the pitch-control that has problems.
About the 38 capstan-motor, not the same at all..sorry

Back