tascam 48 ----- manual?

zorf

I just picked up a Tascsam 48 and unlike the the usual broken deck projects i seem to attract, it actually works straight off.

Not much online info in general compared to the other tascam decks i've had.

Been searching for a manual, but no luck.

Any tips?

thanks.

PM sent...

Congrats BTW. Another 48 owner!

Jeff (lo.fi) and Daniel (cjacek)...its getting cozy in here!

Put up some pics why dontcha?! :eek::D:cool:

Were you able to replace some of the recorders you sold off and why did you in the first place?:confused:

Thanks guys.
Do you all have a secret handshake, or anything?

And thanks sweetbeats! You are a capital fellow.

I read your whole thread last night night about your 58 and now my eyes are bleeding.

I'll post up some photos, if you like.
Not that it is likely to look any different than any other 48.

I'd been zeroing in on either a 48 or tsr 8 and this one came up in my hood
at a great price and it didn't have any issues.

Further down the road, I'll keep a lookout for a dbx unit and a remote and maybe a stand.

900 tape, I assume?

cjacek,

I sold off the other decks because i don't have the time/expertise/money
to become an analog repair tech.

I just want to make music.

I dont mind learning how to do some maintenance, just want to start with a functional deck.

I sold the Akai MG1214, the 388, and i just listed the 80-8. I couldn't get any of them to work well.

I'll probably keep the Scully 280B for a mixdown deck unless someone
makes me a good offer.
It does run well.

cjacek,

I dont mind learning how to do some maintenance, just want to start with a functional deck.

I sold the Akai MG1214, the 388, and i just listed the 80-8. I couldn't get any of them to work well.

makes me a good offer.
It does run well.

Hey, thanks for answering zorf but my question was directed to mastercontrolme ... Sorry, my fault, should have quoted him. :o

Were you able to replace some of the recorders you sold off and why did you in the first place?:confused:

Sold it all off during a moment of weakness. I did get a 42 late last year, but that's all I have left as far as analog tape. I don't plan of replacing anything else, unless I come across a mint, local, 50 series deck.

Sold it all off during a moment of weakness. I did get a 42 late last year, but that's all I have left as far as analog tape. I don't plan of replacing anything else, unless I come across a mint, local, 50 series deck.

Ah, yes, the dreaded moment of weakness. I've had one of those (at least) and hold it responsible for selling off my 58. Must be deja vu 'cause I recall talking about this before with you.. My memory must be not so good. :eek::D [If I ask you about this again in about a month's time, then I know it's time for a check up.:D;)].

Anyway, I've learned that if in doubt, never sell. I sure as hell had doubts when that 58 went though..:o

Zorf, use whatever tape you want but the electronics were designed around +6 tape. You can use the +9 stuff (499, GP9, SM900) but if you cal the deck to run the levels hot you may have erase issues, and it is possible that the bias amp circuitry is not strong enough to properly bias the tape. You may like how that sounds and many do so I'm not knocking running 900. Just know it was designed for 456/SM911 equivalent.

Yes, it likely looks like all the other 48's but the picture will be different! :eek::D:rolleyes::)

cjacek,

makes me a good offer.
It does run well.

PM'd you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Guys, I just got hold of a Tascam 48 and I've been chasing a manual for it. Sorry to resurrect an old thread, does anyone still have a copy they'd be willing to share? Would really appreciate it!

It is OK as there were some of us still looking for one. Well, I got a fresh one and have sent it to Rick at Stereomanuals who will duplicate a select number of them. I have ordered 2 of them as I am one who fixes these and will soon have two Technicians working on them. I have two 48's in the shop right now.
So if you want a good manual place you order with Rick at Stereomanuals.com
8/22/15-
The copies are in and they look great. Rick at Stereomanuals does a great job and he has some limited copies left so if you need a manual get them now. Somehow I have 4 of them in my shop now- the machines, I only have two manual copies.

Last edited:
Back