[SOLVED] TASCAM 44 ... Broken Motor?

racer

So far this machine seems to be working. It powers on, and I'm getting signal from all 4 channels.. However I can't get it to move. I replaced the main belt, but that didn't seem to work so I'm guessing it's the motor..? I found the replacement on Ebay and I'm wondering if this will solve the problem before I go ahead and order one. Any help is greatly appreciated.

IMG_5740 2.jpgScreen Shot 2019-12-31 at 1.11.54 AM.png

So when you say it won't move, are you talking about the capstan shaft?

And it "won't move" with tape loaded and properly threaded?

I don't actually have any reels of tape yet, because I wasn't sure this machine was 100%. As for "not moving", I meant the reels won't turn at all. When I hit play, fast forward, or rewind nothing is happening. Is it because I need to load a reel of tape first for it to get moving?

I suspect so. Your added sensor to the left of the headblock assembly likely senses tape loaded, and as a result the transport won’t operate without tape loaded.

Last edited:
Try placing a piece of card in the tape sensor's slot. You may also need to lift the right tension arm, as many TEAC decks have a microswitch there to shut down if the tape suddenly goes slack.

Thank you thank you thank you!! It was the right tension arm... I pulled it up and voila, its working great.

Good deal. Thanks [MENTION=31942]jpmorris[/MENTION] for the direction.

It is recommended to read the operations manual for your machine. It will answer many of these kinds of issues before they can cause alarm. Now go get yourself some tape! :D

Back