Tascam 424mkIII and Presonus Firestudio Project

scolbert1158

So I just purchased a Tascam 424mkIII 4 track cassette recorder yesterday and used it to record my band in a live situation, so far I was very impressed with the sound of it.

I already own a Presonus Firestudio Project, and I don't want it to go to waste since I spent 500 bucks on it. The reason I switched to cassette is because I feel like all the facets of multitrack computer recording just kind of bog me down cause my computer blows and I've still got a lot to learn about recording.

So basically I'm wondering how to do two things:
1. Since the 424 doesn't have phantom power, would there a be way to use my Firestudio as an outboard preamp providing phantom power to the 424?
2. And what would be the better way to dump all 4 recorded channels of the 424 (to free up 2 or 3 tracks), dumping through my Firestudio in mono or stereo into audacity or cubase back into the tascam, or I also saw the hi fi vcr method...

I guess no. 2 could apply to mixdown as well...
If you have any other neat ideas for how I can use the Firestudio that would be awesome because those are the only two I've come up with, and it's really the only piece of outboard gear I have to utilize at this moment.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated because obviously I'm a noob at this.

Looks as though the Firestudio Project has 8 ins and 8 outs, so you should definitely be able to use preamps on it in front of the 424. However, I didn't see anything about phantom power on the Firestudio Project. From what I read, it doesn't have phantom power. Am I missing it? This is what I read:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...241723&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=90768062

If the Firestudio Project doesn't have phantom power, then obviously no, you will not be able to use it to generate PP for the 424.

Regarding the freeing up of extra tracks, the 424 mk III has direct outs. So you could send all 4 tracks into your computer DAW through the Firestudio Project that way if you like. Then you could mix those 4 -tracks down to a stereo mix (or mono if you prefered) using all of the editing features and flexibility of the computer if you want (i.e., cleaning up bits of noise, using plug-ins for EQ, compression, effects, etc.). Then you record that new mix onto two tracks (if stereo) or one track (if mono) of the 424, freeing up the other tracks for more recording.

This is just a different version of an "external bounce." The old way to do an external bounce was to mix down the 4 tracks of the 424 to another 2-track device---reel to reel, cassette deck, DAT deck, etc. This is kind of like that, but since the 424 has direct outs, you can get all the tracks into the computer to use all its resources before you have to pre-mix the tracks if you'd like. You could still do the external bounce the old way, though, of course, even with the computer.

Good luck, and enjoy the 424mkIII. I have that machine as well, and I love it.

I believe that Presonus does have phantom power and there should be no problem using it as an external preamp running the analog outputs to the Tascam's line inputs.

Adding to beagle's post, bear in mind the potential level mismatch between the 424's -10 direct outs as I'm sure the Firestudio will be expecting +4 in...not sure if it has switchable operating level; you'd want to consult the manual.

First off thanks for the replies guys, I really appreciate the help.

When I started out recording digital, I tried to use the 8 analog outputs for headphone monitoring as that's what presonus advised, although when I tried it, none of them worked. So I figured you had to have a special cable or amplifier, but...

Today I tried plugging my Audio Technica condenser into the presonus 1-8 and using the outputs 1-8 to go into the tascam. For some reason, only the 1 and 2 ins/outs worked, and they were REALLY noisy, definitely unusable for recording.

But then I realized the presonus has two effects sends/returns on inputs 1 and 2. So I tried plugging the condenser into inputs 1 and 2 and using the sends of 1 and 2 to go into the 424's 1/4 inch jacks.

It worked. So now I have phantom power for two out of four tracks on the tascam, which I'm definitely fine with as I can't see myself recording with 4 condenser mics at once, (two is the most I'd use, probably for drum overheads).

Now I'll just have to get a rack setup going so I can have the phantom always set up, and so I can run the four track outs into 4 of the presonus inputs for dumping, and the L-R output into the last 2 inputs of the presonus for mix down. I'd say that's a use I'm happy with. Thanks a lot for the ideas guys.

Although, not to be stubborn here, I don't get exactly what you meant Briank, are you referring to input/output levels of the presonus/tascam respectively as far as dB is concerned? Can't you just adjust that with the trim knobs on the presonus, and the faders on the tascam?

Back