Tascam 424mkIII (no output or input)

Shanecombs1993

When I play tapes the screen visually displays audio levels but no sound comes out of the headphone jack or rca monitor output. . Also, when I plug in a mic or 1/4 inch cable no sound levels register on the screen, only when playing back tapes Do I see the levels. when I plug rca to line out, that does give me sound. what could be wrong? It’s definitely something internal because I’ve been using these machines for along time.

Last edited:
Questions:

1. You said both that there's no sound out of the RCA line out, but also that when you "plug rca to line out, that does give me sound." Can you be more specific which output jacks do produce signal, and which ones don't?

2. You say you've been using "these machines" for a long time. Do you mean the 424mkIII specifically, or are you speaking about cassette multitrack machines in general? What is your experience with the 424mkIII specifically?

3. Is this particular 424mkIII of yours new to you or an old friend? If it is an old friend was it working previously and then it just suddenly stopped? Did something happen like did it experience any sort of trauma, or were there otherwise any symptoms leading up to the current state over time?

Please be as specific as you can in your reply...it helps the helpers! :)

I’m sorry I meant to say monitor output or headphone doesn’t give sound...BUT line output (rca) does.

I’ve used the 414 for 6 years (2011-2016)
The 414mkii for 2 years (2016-2018)
and the 424mkiii (current machine) for the past 2+ years.
I bought it used 2 years ago and I’ve used it almost every day to record music and it always works fine, not a single problem, it just happened all of a sudden I didn’t move it or drop it or bump it, just turned it on and realized no sound was coming out and I tested a mic and no levels were showing.

I may have found a crack in the mixer circuit board but I’m not sure and it won’t let me post the links or photos I took because it says I haven’t made enough posts to link photos ... :(

Nice job finding that and thanks for the picture links. Also, thanks for answering all my questions. That helps.

Yep. You’ve got a cracked PCB. It can be fixed. How good are you with a soldering iron?

What you need to do is solder in across the crack for each trace affected by the the crack. You carefully, using whatever tool will work (I use a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver), scrape off the green coating on each trace to expose the copper trace on each side of the crack, tin all the bare copper with solder, and then solder in a piece of solid wire across the crack on each trace. I like to use snipped tails from through-hole components, like I save a few pieces from when I recap something and trim the tails off the new caps after they’re soldered in.

Thank you so much for answering. I know nothing about soldering and I’m afraid I’ll make it worse if I attempt something, so I’ll probably take it to a shop or have someone else do it to fix the cracks and hopefully that solves the issue.. I’ll get back when I do the repair and tell you how it goes

Sorry if this message was sent multiple times, seem to be having problems here.
Anyways, I lived in Michigan for 24 years but 2 years ago I moved to Indonesia, a country in Asia. If I was still in USA I would without a doubt. I really appreciate it a lot , I’ll try to take it to a shop here soon, another weird thing is when I got here (2 years ago) i Had to have the watts converted in the power supply for the 424mkiii and my 414mkii to have it work here. Went I went back to visit USA last September, the tascam wouldn’t work at all over there. But when I came back here it worked fine again. I know nothing about that stuff but apparently that’s what was

Back