TASCAM 424 MKIII (Problem with Panning/Stereo) DAW related?

Catbus93

Hello,
Im crossposting onto this forum, I'm in need of some assistance on this issue im having with my Tascam MKIII.

Here is the general problem:
When pan a track left or right, it stays mono and amplifies in sound! The center position of the pan knobs actually result in a dimming of the volume...

I've been trying to bounce audio from my DAW (Logic X), without success as my Tascam seems to be robbed of stereo.

Is there an obvious mistake I may be making?
L/R Switches are set
I'm so Stuck!

We need more info. Do you hear this in headphones connected to the 424? Or through monitoring speakers? Please elaborate about your setup. Does this happen with both recording and playback of previously recorded material in which you used the 424 to record? What exactly are you trying to do? For example bounce two L/R tracks from your DAW to two L/R tape tracks on the 424? (Stereo out to stereo in)

Also Logic X is not a DAW. It is the software part of a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). What kind of hardware interface do you have connected with your 424 if something other than basic audio in/outs of your MAC or PC?

Ok no problem, I will try to give more info. I appreciate your advice....
My setup is Logic X running through an Interface (EIE Pro) using the audio output jacks to send audio to the Tascam MKIII via the the following.....standard1/4inch cables as well as a Dual 1/4 inch to RCA cable

To answer your questions first...
Yes, I am hearing this through headphones connected to the 424.
This is happening to all tracks on the 424. Whether it is audio bounced from logic or instrument recorded straight into the 424.
I've tried what you have described (Stereo Out, Stereo In), with tracks 1-2 panned L/R. (I used two 1/4inch cables for this). The result was both supposed tracks equally playing in mono...
Also have tried sending individual tracks via single 1/4inch cable out into any of tracks (1-4). The result is what I described earlier (no panning, just amplification of volume).

When I playback what I record, the non existence of stereo is present.
I'm trying my best to depict a clear picture. Please let me know if you need more information. This started happening after I was messing with it two days ago, before that It was working beautifully.

Stereo

You'll have to listen back to the L/R buss/outputs or on phones. Make sure your headphone montor and outputs are switched to L/R and that you're patched to the Line Outs, not Monitor Out. The tape cue buss is mono, so if you're listening to that there will be no stereo separation.

If you pan L or R and the volume goes up, then volume is diminished when you pan to center, it points to a phase inversion, which typically would be manifested in the patch cable area & not internally to the Portastudio. They are all built relatively the same and are solid performers.

:spank::eek:;)

Thanks for your input. Sure enough the L/R levels are indicating on the display that the pan knobs are working their job (If i pan all the way right for example, the left level dies down to zero and the right steadily rises into the red. I've tried your settings, without results. No doubt that the Portastudio is working fine, which leads me to think it may be the result of the adaptor connecting my headphones into the phones jack. The adaptor became loose (internally) the same night that the problems started.

I will send my recording back to Logic through Line Outs, to see if the mix is true to the levels. I will update this thread, as the Portastudio is crucial to me.

... it may be the result of the adaptor connecting my headphones into the phones jack. The adaptor became loose (internally) the same night that the problems started.

Reel beat me to the settings issues... I got busy, to put it lightly, and couldn't get back to this, but my first suggestion was going to be work from the headphones back. Try a different pair of headphones or ear buds, or whatever you have. That and check the headphone jack and/or adapter in your case. Always ask yourself each time something goes wrong what you are doing differently than when it was working.

And a little tip: When using an adapter to plug into jacks, headphone or whatever, it's best to use a length of cable with the appropriate jacks/plugs on each end. This takes weight off of the main input/output and reduces wear and tear.

Ok boys,
Sorry for the delay.
The problem was solved when i replaced the headphones adaptor. I'll never completely understand the mechanics of this horrendous phasing issue, but i'm thrilled that it is gone.
I really appreciate your advice and responses.
Best,
Catbus93
:):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Back