Tascam 424 Mkii Records Quiet, Track 3 barely at all :(

creebobby

I recently bought a back-up Tascam 424 Mkii. (I've recorded 3 albums with my first Tascam 424 mkii and some of the knobs are getting crackly.)

But now I'm having problems with the backup unit.

When recording last week, track one started cutting out, then wouldn't record or recorded quiet, then started recording again.

Today, track four (when listening on playback) would get quiet suddenly then slowly increase in volume, then suddenly get quiet again, then slowly increase in volume.

Then track three recorded quiet, then wouldn't record, and now is recording really really quiet again.

After leaving the machine off for a while it seemed for a brief test that all tracks were recording fine, but not now.

Now track three is recording quiet and all the others seem really muted.
It's like the machine won't record with any power or force. The recorded tracks are a much quieter volume than the levels were when I recorded.

Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jacob

I don't have any advice with regards to your new machine, but if the only thing wrong with your old machine is that the knobs were getting crackly, that could possibly be a really easy fix.

Have you tried cleaning the pots with DeOxit? If not, get some (at Lowe's, etc. or online), remove the knobs, spray some down in there and then wiggle the pots back and forth. That should clean them out and make them good as new, assuming they were just dirty.

Good luck.

Oh, and regarding your new machine, the only thing I can think of is that it may need a cap job. But I'm not sure by any means.

Have you properly cleaned the heads? Even a Q-tip and alchol.... a proper kit is worth the few buck as it gets rid of static also...they collect dust quickly... I have one like two other here that someone gave me, but one track does not record for what ever reason like theirs...I use it as a mixer more than anything...with the new H2s and Tascams..for home use it seems a better route...and you can plug them into your computer and remix easier it seems...

Back