Tascam 424 MKii - Plays for 1 second then Stops????

minimnstr

I read on a few other threads about this occurring in other models, but none of the same issues seem to be what I've got here. I was recording with it today, then at the end of the tape it stopped as usual. So I flipped the tape to continue recording and it started to engage the tape, and then clicked to stopping. I tried a few more times and figured that maybe it was the tape. So I tried another. I've tried twenty. Does the same, maddening thing! All lights, motorized functions etc. work perfectly, but the machine will only play/record for 1 second! Any help would be appreciated, this is driving me nuts!

Is there a super-top-secret, malevolent button that I switched on or something?

That is usually the capstan belt (main drive belt) that's slipping and needs to be replaced.

However, up in the top of the cassette compartment there is a microswitch that you can hold by hand to simulate "cassette in place", and activate Play, FF, RW or REC with no cassette in the bay, just for test. Also, when you depress this microswitch the capstan should rotate, and you can feel it with your fingertips. You should not be able to stop the capstan from spinning with moderate pressure.

Being a MkII, I'd say "it's just the belt", and just to check that at the outset.

:spank::eek:;)

Aw man thank you! Taped that sucker down and it works again!!! Will order a new belt for it soon, but thanks for the tip!

Cool Man!

If the cassette-in-place switch seems marginal, I believe you can adjust it's fine position from the inside, when you open it up to change the belt. If tape helps, that's just as good for now.

:spank::eek:;)

Back