Tascam 424 mkII: How To Expose The Innards

sweetbeats

Reel deep thoughts...
Our rabbit that has never chewed on anything decided it was time to try it out and in one fell swoop turned two mic cables and the power cord to my Tascam 424 mkII into pieces...here's the victim:

IMG_1654_1_1.JPG

Needless to say we watch bunny a little more closely now. So it was time to open up the 424 and replace the power cord and I thought it'd be a good opportunity to put up one of those little pictorials that can be referenced in other threads when needing to do servicing on a 424 mkII. I don't know how applicable these instructions are to the mkI and mkIII models so if you are using these instructions to open one of those two up proceed with caution.

Step 1:

Unplug the thing (unless your pet took care of that for you), flip it over and remove the screws as indicated by the red arrows. Make a note of where you took them out of or use the picture as reference when reassembling...all the screws are the same:

Step%201.jpg

Step 2:

There are three more screws around the back of the unit as indicated. One screw is different...it is indicated by the green arrow. All the other screws are the same so make note that the screw that is different goes back in the same hole:

Step%202.jpg

Step 3:

Now, holding the bottom and top of the case together tip the unit so it is resting on its nose like below and gently open it up like a big clam from the back. It should come apart easily...don't pull it too far open as there are two wires that need to be disconnected as you can see:

IMG_1665_9_1.JPG

Step 4:

Disconnect the first wire, a little black single ground wire. The connector is right there and just pulls apart:

IMG_1666_10_1.JPG

Step 5:

Now disconnect the other wire that is keeping the clam from opening all the way up...it has 4 wires and plugs into the power supply PCB. Just gently rock it a little as you pull grasping the connector as much as possible. There will only be one like this to reconnect in this spot when it goes back together so don't be nervous about not being able to get it back together right...plus, it only goes into the socket one way, or at least easily:

IMG_1667_11_1.JPG

Step 6:

No you can open the clam all the way up like this:

IMG_1668_12_1.JPG

If you need to completely separate the top and bottom half, it is easy to do and makes it much easier to work on and move around. There are three wire sets to remove kind of like the last one you did...each one is a different sized connector than the other and only go back together one way so, again, don't be nervous about putting it back together wrong...here, I'm holding on to the sets...two grey sets and one white set. Same as before, just gently rock as you pull, grasping the connector as much as possible:

IMG_1669_13_1.JPG

That's all there is to it! Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly. Just be mindful not to pinch wires when you put it back together. Best wishes, and I hope this helps you keep your 424 mkIII going!

Man, the rabbit did a number on that cable.. :eek:and that's how the 424 innards look like! Pretty cool to see and thanks for sharing the dis-assembly instructions. I'm sure someone will find it helpful in the future.:)

This rules out loud man! The later period PortaStudios are works of engineering art. Thanks Co'Flo' for getting this up here...

Cory..you are insane. As if you don't have enough projects.

First time I pulled the bottom panel off my M3700...I thought I would have a heart attack.:eek: So many ribbons I just knew one of these would pull out of those "crimping" connections and I would NEVER find out until I had everything back together and all the other gear plugged in. Well...it worked. Sheeezus..never again. All I can say is..you have nerves of steel. Or..ahem... balls..:laughings:

Awesome post!
Hey Dave!! Glad to see you're still around these parts. This is ole "Mr. Purple". Remember?..that's what your son called me when I visited you that time. Just came across one of your CD's as I was unpacking my crap after moving. Can't believe we're still doing this shit. I feel like a poster child for OLD FARTS-R-US. :D Anyway, nice to see you're still here. Now I don't feel like a stranger. Been a long time since I posted on HR. But I'm back and I'll be posting my own "rebuilding" thread pretty quick. Drop in and say hello.

Back