Tascam 424 MKII Bouncing Tracks Question!

questions about bouncing on my 424,

1.eg. i've bounced tracks 1-3 to track 4. Should I still be able to hear the original tracks (1-3) on their separate channels as well as them bounced on trk 4? If yes I'm I meant to re record new stuff over the material on tracks 1-3?

2. Once I've bounced say tracks 1-3 to track 4. during mixdown, are the tracks 1-3 that have been bounced to track 4 now not accessible for adjustments?

help would be greatly appreciated

thanks

anyone?

Pulayse :)

questions about bouncing on my 424,

1.eg. i've bounced tracks 1-3 to track 4. Should I still be able to hear the original tracks (1-3) on their separate channels as well as them bounced on trk 4? If yes I'm I meant to re record new stuff over the material on tracks 1-3?

Yes, and yes. And no, after you have erased them, you will not be able to get them back. A less destructive approach is to mix the tracks down to a second machine and work from that instead.
If you don't have access to a second 424, you could copy them to a 2-track deck of some kind and then transfer then to a fresh tape on the 424.

Does that help?

Yes, and yes. And no, after you have erased them, you will not be able to get them back. A less destructive approach is to mix the tracks down to a second machine and work from that instead.
If you don't have access to a second 424, you could copy them to a 2-track deck of some kind and then transfer then to a fresh tape on the 424.

Does that help?

I have another 414.

so once i've bounced tracks, I can't adjust them anymore?

I want to work with the 424, mixing down to another system just sounds like more work and hassle than needed. What's the usual process for bouncing using a 424? There must be a way to access those bounced tracks individually or it just wont sound 'right' during mixdown.
Surely not everyone with a 4 track has another 4 track simply for more channels? That would make the whole concept of a 4 track greatly insufficient and massively limiting.

I want to work with the 424, mixing down to another system just sounds like more work and hassle than needed. What's the usual process for bouncing using a 424? There must be a way to access those bounced tracks individually or it just wont sound 'right' during mixdown.

Once you've erased the original set your only recourse for altering the mix is to tweak the EQ and the panning of the sub-mix on track 4.

Surely not everyone with a 4 track has another 4 track simply for more channels? That would make the whole concept of a 4 track greatly insufficient and massively limiting.

Well, that's how Sgt. Pepper was done. Though to be fair, 4-track pretty much died as soon as 8-track systems became available (whereas 1" 8-track was still used at least into the 80s, long after 24 track became available).

As for the philosophy of 4-track recording, you'll have to ask another about that. I have done track bouncing on occasion, but I tend to work on 8-track systems exactly because 4-tracks would be too limiting for what I want to record.

anyone with anymore ideas on 4 track bouncing then?

there must be a way to alter or add effects to bounced tracks, during mixdown?

Yes there certainly is during mixdown/bouncing. All we'r trying to say is that once they are mixed/bounced together you can no longer alter the individual tracks (unless you don't record over the original tracks and do another bounce).

Do you have the manual? Sorry if that's already been asked...too lazy to look through the whole thread...pages 33 & 34 go over the bouncing procedure. Sounds like you're okay there. Pages 35 & 36 go over using effects, but basically you are going to connect your effects devices' inputs to either/or the EFFECT1 and EFFECT2 outputs, and connect the effects devices' outputs to channel 5 and/or channel 7 inputs. Then you ASSIGN 5 and/or 7 to the L-R buss. Plugging the effects devices' outputs to only channel 5 or channel 7 sets the effects device to mono (same signal on L and R) and then when you record enable track 4 (for instance) to record from the L-R buss the effects output(s) will be present on the R channel and you can mix the level using the channel 5/6 and channel 7/8 LEVEL knobs. Set the MONITOR section L and R switches (the bank of switches above the headphone level knob) to MON so you can hear the mix of the effects returns on 5 and/or 7 mixed in with the other tracks that are being bounced.

Does that help?

Yes there certainly is during mixdown/bouncing. All we'r trying to say is that once they are mixed/bounced together you can no longer alter the individual tracks (unless you don't record over the original tracks and do another bounce).

Do you have the manual? Sorry if that's already been asked...too lazy to look through the whole thread...pages 33 & 34 go over the bouncing procedure. Sounds like you're okay there. Pages 35 & 36 go over using effects, but basically you are going to connect your effects devices' inputs to either/or the EFFECT1 and EFFECT2 outputs, and connect the effects devices' outputs to channel 5 and/or channel 7 inputs. Then you ASSIGN 5 and/or 7 to the L-R buss. Plugging the effects devices' outputs to only channel 5 or channel 7 sets the effects device to mono (same signal on L and R) and then when you record enable track 4 (for instance) to record from the L-R buss the effects output(s) will be present on the R channel and you can mix the level using the channel 5/6 and channel 7/8 LEVEL knobs. Set the MONITOR section L and R switches (the bank of switches above the headphone level knob) to MON so you can hear the mix of the effects returns on 5 and/or 7 mixed in with the other tracks that are being bounced.

Does that help?

Ok, I'm still confused :(
Yes I have the manual, but imo it doesn't explain things too well. I'm still baffled as to what channels 5 and 6 actually do, the difference between them and the effect send outputs..7/8 etc?

'Yes there certainly is during mixdown/bouncing. All we'r trying to say is that once they are mixed/bounced together you can no longer alter the individual tracks (unless you don't record over the original tracks and do another bounce).'

How would you free up tracks without recording over them, and not by using another console?

How would you free up tracks without recording over them, and not by using another console?

You can't...welcome to analog. Its reel, baby! :eek::cool::D

5/6 and 7/8 are just additional line-level inputs...two stereo or two mono (or one stereo one mono, blahblah...)

I have a 424 mkII.

Hi there, I have hours and hours of home recordings made on a 424 and I would love to transfer this to my Apple (Garage). Ideally each track would end up with its own track in Garage. Is this possible? I have been trying to find an answer to this problem for what seems like forever. I was once told that a Presonus Firebox would do the trick but have noticed some disenchantment with it on the net. I've also been told it would definitely work and that it definitely wouldn't. I am confused.
Cheers,
Harry
:confused:

Back