Tascam 424 MKI won't play/record

malkyyyyy

hi guys, I picked up an old 424 MKI recently. The machine turns on, I can see and hear that the little thing at the bottom of the tape compartment starts spinning up when I turn on the power and if I plug a mic I can register a signal on the mixer. My Tascam won't play or record though. When I hit play I can see the head move up from the bottom of the tape mechanism and I hear a few clicks but it snaps back down right away. It doesnt play the tape at all, but it will fast-forward and rewind, and the counter seems to work while doing this.

I replaced the main belt already, the one it came with was noticeably stretched a bit. Could it be the motor that is causing a problem? My power supply is not original but it is 12V with the correct polarity and sufficient amperage (1200, the original supplies 1100)

thanks

A slipping control belt will cause that, if the 424 has one. The control belt pulls the head assembly up to the cassette. But I don't know the 424 well enough to know if it has a control belt for this or uses a gear. If there's another belt besides the capstan belt and the counter belt that is probably a control belt. My 246 was doing the same thing yours is and I replaced the control belt to fix the problem.

anyone have any ideas? i think i can see how to replace the motor so i might do that if i can figure out which one i need.

Back