Tascam 414 Mk2 + preamps?

kollontai77

Hello everyone,

Well I've decided against the TEAC 3440 and mixer, (may be broken, difficult to repair, etc). I've bought a NEW Tascam 414 Mk2 4 track cassette recorder, and am waiting for it to ship.

I've got a Shure PG57 mic, which doesn't take batteries.

Do I need a preamp, or anything else, to begin recording on the Tascam?

Thanks

Well I've decided against the TEAC 3440 and mixer, (may be broken, difficult to repair, etc). I've bought a NEW Tascam 414 Mk2 4 track cassette recorder, and am waiting for it to ship.

Well, that's quite a drop in quality. ;) Tho I do understand your decission.

I've got a Shure PG57 mic, which doesn't take batteries.

Do I need a preamp, or anything else, to begin recording on the Tascam?

Nope, you don't need a pre-amp with the 414. All you need is the 414, a mic and an xlr mic cable. Also, why did you choose the PG57 over the sm57 ? Just curious.

~Daniel :)

Thanks for the advice. As for the PG vs SM mic, I bought it ages ago, on the recommendation of music staff.

Why is the SM Shure mic better?

Also.... I've heard that Maxell have discontinued making their XLII cassettes, and TDK are very hard to get too! AGH! More obsolescence!

Die Digital Die!

Thanks for the advice. As for the PG vs SM mic, I bought it ages ago, on the recommendation of music staff.

Why is the SM Shure mic better?

Well, I never said it was better but I expect it to be as the pg series was intended for the hobbyist musician market and not for anything serious. (Just look at the way the pg57 is packaged and you'll know why). The pg57 is marketed as an "almost SM57" mic, for those who can't afford the real thing. The SM57, on the other hand, is pretty much the "standard" of dynamic mics. Anything will sound good through it. Not to say that the pg will sound bad, only why would you get it if the real thing is only a few $$ more ?

Also.... I've heard that Maxell have discontinued making their XLII cassettes, and TDK are very hard to get too! AGH! More obsolescence!

Just find a case of the maxells and get on with it. You can also get just about any brand name type II cassette. Doesn't have to be maxell. Their tape is not as good as it was anyway. :(

~Daniel :)

Just wanted to add that I started on a 414 MKII and really enjoyed making music on it so it should serve you really well. Remember, it's HOW you use the gear and not what gear you have. Additionally, MIC PLACEMENT is perhaps the MOST important aspect of getting good sound. Example: An experienced musician can get better results with a cheap radio shack dynamic than an amateur using an SM57. My point is that as long as you already have the pg57 and soon will have the 414, learn as much as you can using the tools you have available now and make the best recordings you can! Magical things can be done using only the 57, a cassette recorder and much recording knowledge. Experience is the ONLY method of getting better, plus reading this forum, of course. ;)

Good luck!

Daniel :)

I loves my 414mk2... So much easier than setting up my computer to get ideas down. Damn little brother breaking channel 3.... Still need to get it fixed.

Back