Tascam 414 mk II digital mixdown - possible to do each track separately?

adrianhouse

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows how to mix down each track separately to the computer from the 414 mk II cassette four track? I've thought about it and all I can think of is muting all the other tracks while I do one at a time, but it would probably be impossible to keep them in sync then. Each track has an input, but not an output. Any input much appreciated!

You could do them two at a time, hard left and right for each pair, but that's about it. The 414 doesn't seem to have direct outs so you're stuck either mixing in the 414, dumping them in pairs and hoping you can line them up in the DAW with some chopping around, or getting a machine with all 4 outputs and playing the tape back in that.

After a quick look at the 414mkII manual on the TASCAM website, it looks like it might just be possible to get all four tracks out at the same time.

Track 1, channel fader up, panned hard left, taken from the left side of the main stereo out

Track 2, channel fader up, panned hard right, taken from the right side of the main stereo out

Track 3, channel fader down, this is the only track taken from the tape cue out, which is a prefader 4x1 submixer

Track 4, channel fader down, this track should (might?) be present on the sync out connector

let us know if it works!

Hey Stryder, we tried what you suggested and it worked perfectly! Thanks a lot. only did it for one song on my album, but here are the results:
Too Strong | Adrian House
Cheers,
Adrian

There are some nice moments in that one. :) A few rough spots here and there---the guitar was struggling to stay in time at points, and the harmonica was a bit flat---but the song was nice, the vocal has a nice quality, and I liked the reverb on the voice. It sounds as though there may have been a bit of proximity effect on the vocals; it got a little boomy at times.

Anyway, overall, I enjoyed the listen. Thanks for posting. :)

Thanks man. Yeah there was roughness, and feedback appreciated. I'm not a finger picker so that was a struggle. I'm still happy with it overall though, has a charm to it I think. Good point on the vocals, need to work on mic technique.
Thanks for listenin

Thanks, this was a life saver!

two years later, this really saved my life. Thanks Stryker. You are the man.

Back