Tascam 388 - Will Play & stop, but wont stop when FF / RW

SPOD

I'm hoping one of you guys can help out. I recently got a Tascam 388 & it plays & stops perfectly, varispeed all works, record works. But if I Fast Forward or Rewind, and then hit STOP the PLAY light will go out but the transport wont stop Rewinding or Fast Forwarding. Sometimes on Rewind it'll stop when I hit STOP, but the counter counts backward really slowly.

Anyone know what this could be? Any insight would be appreciated. Aside from that it's an amazing machine!

Thanks.

Hey if you're a beginner with this machine, the first thing I'd check is your tape threading. IIRC the machine acts a little funny if you thread it around the tachometer the wrong way (the counter will also go backwards).

It does sound rather like what the TSR-8 does if the tach roller isn't working correctly - which as mentioned, can be because the tape has been threaded wrong.
I'm not sure quite how critical the tach is on the 388, though - the TSR-8 has a more advanced transport AFAIK.

The transport logic on the 388 is similar generation to 48 and TSR-8.

They work essentially the same way so the counter roller plays the same role in the transport logic between those machines (and others).

Last edited:
Hey if you're a beginner with this machine, the first thing I'd check is your tape threading. IIRC the machine acts a little funny if you thread it around the tachometer the wrong way (the counter will also go backwards).

You're a champion, thank you. I'm pretty new to this machine, growing up on cassette 4 tracks and spending the last 15 years on computers, but have had a few months recording an album with it in the USA and fell in love. I just shipped it back to Australia really well packed in a custom flight case and just set it up to run it through this paces and see if it's all working, so I must have been a bit keen and too eager to find a problem. She's 100% ready to get to work, phew!!

Thanks again guys.

Good deal. Thanks for posting the issue. Sometimes it's something rudimentary and it's a good reminder for anybody to check fundamentals. Happy recording! :thumbs up:

Back