Tascam 388 vs. Tascam MSR-16

themaddog

Rockin' & Rollin'
OK, so in a fight, who would win? Just kidding... but seriously, does the Tascam 388 sound better than an MSR-16, or vice versa? I realize which machine has more tracks, and that the MSR-16 can be run at 15 IPS. But perhaps someone on this board has owned both machines. I'm considering upgrading my setup to a Tascam MSR-16 running on a Tascam M-320 (or is there a better board someone can recommened?).

I'm just concerned that the MSR-16 won't sound as good as the 388. I'm not necessarily looking for a "better sound" than the 388, but something that sounds as good with more tracks, yet still uses cheap 1/2" tape.

Thanks,
-MD

I haven't used either machine, myself, but I have heard recording made on both and I think I would give the MSR-16 a slightly better grade in sound quality because of the higher running speed which will improve the frequency response and lower the wow & flutter specifications.

The MSR16 came in two flavors; the original with dbx and the newer version with Dolby S which many claim to be the superior sounding machine.

Cheers! :)

You can also get the MSR24, which uses 1" tape and has slightly wider heads than both the 388 and MSR16.

388 vs MSR-16

I have both, although I haven't used either much lately. These machines sound very similar to each other, the MSR-16 being a little more extended in the bass and treble.

I have both machines, I use the 388 more often because well tape cost. I am planning on doing a release on the msr-16 early next year though.

As far as overall quality goes the msr-16 is a beast compared to the 388. the quality is better, then again I like the board i use with the msr-16 slightly more than the one on the 388. The 388 is probably one of the best 8 tracks in the world for the cost though I think

What board do you use Wildflower?

I made this post SO long ago. I was 21 years old and loving the analog sound. I can’t answer for Wildflower, but when I eventually got into an MSR-16 I used a Tascam mixer, a Mackie 32.8 that I didn’t really like, and eventually a Soundcraft Ghost 32. I still have the Ghost, although it’s starting to have issues I can’t merely route around, but sold the MSR years ago. My next machine was a MS-16 (1”), until I was bought an Otari MTR-90 mkii, which is a 2” 24 track. Each machine represented a relatively big step up in fidelity.

My band SYNN recently finished an album, the cd release party and show for it is actually tomorrow night. You can hear it on the major streaming services from this link, if you’re interested: SYNN - One Punch at a Time | LANDR
The album was tracked on tape, but mixed digitally.

If I did it all again, I’d stick with a Ghost. I think it was the best sounding mixer for the money that I came across. At my studio at work, where I completed our album, I’m fortunate enough to have access to an API Box, which sounds amazing, but is extremely expensive. Otherwise, the tracking that was done at home was through two Golden Age Audio pre-amps for the important stuff and all overdubs (kick, snare, and everything that followed), and all other live tracking with the Ghost’s pre-amps. The vocals and some final guitars and bass overdubs were mostly done with the API.

-MD

Back