Tascam 388 - Track 7 & 8 not recording

So I got my hands on a Tascam 388 and I recorded a test tone across all 8 tracks to test how it works and found a few issues;

All the meters read the tone input but track 7 & 8 didnt record the tone. I tried plugging directly into 7 & 8s inputs and also routing it to 7 & 8 from input 1 but no dice.

A tape with sound pre recorded on 7 & 8 played back only in the monitor section and not in ‘rmx’ mode with the L-R buttons pressed on 7 and or 8.

Also its rewinding slow and the counter stopped counting forward after a while, but 7 & 8 are the priority.

Any ideas?

Ok further investigation, I recorded test tone on my own 388 which records all tracks, and put the into the new 388 and confirmed that;

all tracks play back through the monitor section, including 7 & 8
With LR pressed in, monitoring playback through the mixer, Channel 7 is barely audible. 8 plays back fine.

So 7 & 8 dont record and 7 doesnt play back in LR mode. I need to swap cards tomorrow.

Also, fixed the rewind by adjusting the trim pots for the tension arms and now the counter works properly as well.

Something I noticed was the playback of the recorded test tone was kind of glitchy. Just noting this for future reference and if anyone knows what that could be. Need to try another tape before worrying.

Will swap cards tomorrow and see how it goes.

Last edited:
The 'not recording but does play' thing can be due to the relays sticking on the channel card. Swapping cards and having the fault move would tend to indicate that.
Audio routing issues can sometimes be caused by a hex inverter chip failing (U104?), this seems to be a common fault on the 388.
I'm not sure how the counter works on that particular machine, some of them have a roller with an optical encoder on the bottom.

Last edited:
I recently had an issue with Tk 8 not recording. All Tks would play back previously recorded content. I took the 6/8 rec/play pcb out and checked every solder joint for continuity, and found a bad trace coming off pin 8 on op amp u103. I soldered in a jumper and fixed the problem. All Tks record and play back as they should.

I recently had an issue with Tk 8 not recording. All Tks would play back previously recorded content. I took the 6/8 rec/play pcb out and checked every solder joint for continuity, and found a bad trace coming off pin 8 on op amp u103. I soldered in a jumper and fixed the problem. All Tks record and play back as they should.

Thanks. This will be my first check once I swap the cards.

Can glitchy recording be due to heads that need to be demagnetized?

Demag will bring back high frequency response. Make sure the heads are spit shine clean. I would pull all the cards, deox with electrical cleaner and reseat them. See if that helps.

After swapping cards and hitting the connectors with sonee deoxit (REC play cards 4-7, 6-8), I recorded some test tones across all tracks on the AU388.

Monitor section: 7 plays back quiet and distorted, 8 plays back clean
LR: same as monitor section.

Moved this tape to my USA388 and Confirmed CH7 plays back quiet n distorted.

So I Recorded test tone on my USA388 and plays back clean on all channels in both the monitor and LR sections on AU388.

So as it stands, the only problem is Track 7 is recording quiet and distorted on the AU388. What could this suggest?

Hard to say, though the problem sounds like it is isolated on the record part of the board. Do you have a schematic? A scope would help too. A bad solder joint can cause problems too.

I've got the manual that's online, going to buy a clearer one and make a good scan of it. I'm about to move studios, so i'll need to pick this up when I get to the new location. I'm glad the Deoxit & reseating helped clear it up a bit at least. When I get set up again, i'll record the problem. I also need to invest in some maintenance hardware as i'm committing to these 388s in my new studio.

Back